Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Expressing Numbers in English
Transcript of Expressing Numbers in English
Use numbers with addresses, ages and dates correctly
Identify appropriate time to use words versus figures while expressing numbers
In English the order of large numbers is trillion, billion, million, thousand etc.
In English, use commas to separate hundreds, thousands, millions, etc.
People often say "a" instead of "one" before hundred, thousand, etc. and they often add "and" before the last number:
Ordinal numbers only the last figure is written as an ordinal number:
I was the (421 st = four hundred and twenty-first) person to finish the race.
5,112th = Five thousand, one hundred and twelfth place
There are different ways to express decades using numerals. Some people write the 1980s or the 80s, others write the 1980′s and the 80′s.
During the 80's, the world’s economy grew.
During the 1980s, the world’s economy grew.
During the 1980′s, the world’s economy grew.
During the ’80′s, the world’s economy grew.
In English, we can say dates either with the day before the month, or the month before the day:
"The first of January" / "January the first".
Remember to use ordinal numbers for dates in English.
(The first, the second, the third, the fourth, the fifth, the twenty-second, the thirty-first etc.)
Practice your mental training with your coach and repeat with confidence
Watch video #9
"I speak with energy"
"I will achieve my goals"
"I have excellent grammar"
By the end of this lesson you will be able to:
Your coach will select some students to read the following numbers out loud
Credit Card Numbers
Choose a role play, practice and act it out.
1) You are shopping in a flea market and you see a motorcycle helmet you want to buy, the price is $239.99. Negotiate the price with the seller. The seller will give excuses on how expensive his rent is and how he needs to pay his employees etc.
2) You work at a car rental agency and the cheapest car you have is available for $25 per day, a client will come to you and ask questions about prices for 7 days. Advise of late fees and insurance.
Sequence of numbers
Ordinal numbers tell the order of things in a set—first, second, third, etc. Ordinal numbers do not show quantity. They only show rank or position as in a marathon.
Watch the following video and discuss it with your coach.
Give examples about how to use ordinal numbers: as in 3rd fastest in the race or the 6th person in line at the supermarket.
Your coach will select 1 or 2 students to go to the front and they will do a recap
Describe in your own words what you did since you walked into E4CC until now
Fluency diet review
Pair up and practice the questions below. Then your coach will select some students to go to the front
What does your Mom/Dad do for a living?
Tell me about your last vacation.
What would you do if you only had one day to live?
30 seconds NON- STOP