Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Project Search
Durham Public Schools
Duke Medicine & Durham Regional Hospital
NC Vocational Rehabilitation
OE Enterprises, Inc.
Alliance Behavioral Health
Collaboration with business, education, rehabilitation (VR) and DD
Training in real work settings via unpaid internship*
Braided funding – All agencies contribute funds and resources to the project
Low risk, low cost for business
Project SEARCH was founded in 1996 by:
Erin J. Riehle
Benefits of Project SEARCH
*Focus on preparation for employment
either at the host company or other
businesses after the internship ends
*Intense level of supervision from
educational, rehabilitation, and business
*Career exploration opportunities
*One school year term
*The program serves up to 12 students
*Students are selected based on applications & interviews
* Students are eligible during their last year of High School in DPS
* Rotation through unpaid internships with continual feedback from the
employer and staff
*Outcome expected: Employment opportunity in an industry or
*As many as 65% have received a job offer within 12 months of
Nurse Administrator at Cincinnati Children’s Hospital
In collaboration with :
Exceptional Children's Director at Great Oaks Career Campus
* US DOL standards apply Project SEARCH complies with ALL of the factors that define an unpaid internship
program and does not meet the criteria for an employment relationship as defined by the Fair Labor Standards
Act (FLSA), and the Act's minimum wage and overtime provisions. ( See Fact Sheet # 71: Internship Programs
Under The Fair Labor Standards Act . April 2010. )
The ultimate goal is employment !
Partnership with agencies + business =
SHARED COSTS + IMPROVED RESULTS!
( In contrast- unemployment rate among adults with disabilities is 65-70%)
* US DOL standards apply Project SEARCH complies with ALL of the factors that define an unpaid internship program and does not meet the criteria for an employment relationship as defined
by the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), and the Act's minimum wage and overtime provisions. ( See Fact Sheet # 71: Internship Programs Under The Fair Labor Standards Act . April 2010. )
Durham Public Schools
Project SEARCH Classroom Teacher
Programs for Exceptional Children Durham Public Schools
2013 / 2014 Annual Calendar
10 Week Rotations
10 Week Rotations
10 Week Rotations
The Project Search Program at Durham Regional Hospital follows the City of Medicine Academy schedule.
7:30 Employability Skills
9:00 Work Sites
12:15 Work Sites
2:00 Review, Plan, and Journal
Central Sterilization Reprocessing
Durham School of the Arts
A student in his
or her last year
for high school.
Completed all high school credits necessary for graduation.
* Independent personal care skills.
* Ability to manage behavior with prompting and
* Eligible for Vocational Rehabilitation (VR).*
* Eligible for services from Alliance Behavioral Health.
* Some items can be completed after the student selection.
*Someone may act as scribe for student but the
content of the answers should be in the student’s own
*Gather supporting documents.
*Completed applications are due by March 28, 2013
-Please contact Adina Moon, DPS EC Coordinator, if you have Questions-
*Selection Committee Team Members consist of Project
SEARCH Partners. Team members review each application
and interview top candidates that have been selected by the
*Host employers have the final say on selecting students for
*Approximately 15-20 candidates could be chosen to be
interviewed; however, only 12 students will be accepted to
participate in Project SEARCH program.
*Criminal background checks, immunization requirements, and
drug screening will be completed after selection.
-Students will have a Two-week Trial Work Period During Internship-
Durham Regional Hospital (DRH)
* Provide a dedicated space to be utilized as a
* Business Liaison: Minimum 10% of their time
* Provide Internships
* Assist with Marketing & Promotion
Upon completion of Project SEARCH,
employment at the host business is
not guaranteed. Project SEARCH
cannot require the host business
to hire students at the
conclusion of the program.
* Near the end of the internship experience a job
coach, from OE, will assist each student in finding
gainful employment. Assistance from coaches will
be available until the student finds a job.
* Job Coaches from OE will assist students in each
stage of their internship work rotation including:
-Assistance in Developing Natural Supports
-Accommodations & Assistive Technology
* VR provides funding for the job coaches supervised by OE.
* Students are eligible for VR at age 16. At this time, students
should have an employment goal and be committed to
achieving that goal.
* Qualifying eligibility for VR includes a cognitive disability or
mental health impairment, physical disability, substance abuse
and/or a combination of disabilities.
*VR provides guidance, counseling, and other supports to enable
*Alliance Behavioral Health provides on going follow even after
employment is obtained.
Students, Parents, & Guardians
-Please note the deadline may be extended on a case by case basis, if needed-