Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Balancing Person-Centered Geriatric Care
Transcript of Balancing Person-Centered Geriatric Care
WMU Center for Gerontology
WMU Medical Humanities Conference
September 27, 2012 Balancing Person-Centered Geriatric Care with Regulations, Technology, and Gizmo Idolatry 1. Knowledge of Geriatric Care
2. Medical Knowledge
3. Pharmaceutical Knowledge
4. Interprofessional Teamwork Clinical Competence 1. Clinical Trials
2. Adverse Effects
3. Cost/Benefit Research Evidence-Based Decisions 1. Family Dynamics
4. Patient/Provider Interpersonal Interaction
5. Comfort With Death
6. Advance Directives Communication 1. Medical Malpractice
4. Hospital/Healthcare Incentives Defensive Medicine 1. New is better.
2. Technology wins.
3. More is better.
4. Can they pay?
5. I will make more money. Gizmo Idolatry Vital Aging
Comfort Values of Person-Centered Geriatric Care Donald A. Barr, Introduction to U.S. Health Policy, Johns Hopkins, 2011.
Bruce Leff and Thomas Finucane, Gizmo Idolatry, JAMA, 2008, 299: 1830-1832.
Comfort Person-Centered Future?
1. Relationship Based Care
2. Nursing Home Culture Change/Greenhouse Project)
3. Cultural Sensitivity
4. Patient Centered Medical Homes/Accountable Care Organizations
5. Avoidance of Hospital Readmissions Bruce Leff and Thomas Finucane, "Gizmo Idolatry" JAMA 2008, 299: 1830-1832.