Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Lost New York City
Transcript of Lost New York City
The Station finished construction in 1910, and on November 26th of that year, the station officially opened for business. The Station was the first one of its kind in Manhattan. It connected all other areas to the Island, and made it much easier to access. The station lasted for 53 years when it was demolished to make way for the current Madison square garden. The Pennsylvania Railroad Company was suffering from major financial difficulty and was seeking to sell the station to someone. In 1961 they found that person, Irving Felt. Irving was taking the property to build a new, 75 million dollar sports complex. So the demolition began, and it sparked such outrage that it lead to the creation of the New York Historical Society. Once the station was demolished and the Sports complex was built, which we call Madison Square Garden. Pennsylvania Station There was a church on the corner of 24th street and southeast Madison avenue that was a gothic style. The church was in the way of the Metropolitan Life Tower and was subsequently demolished. One needed to be built to take its place. So Stanford White, of McKim, Mead, and White designed a Byzantine style church to put in its place. The Church was built in 1906. The church did not last long, and was demolished in 1919 to make way for office buildings.
Although this church, which resembles the Villa Rotunda, only lasted 13 years, it has had such an impact on architecture. Much of the church has survived in fragments. A doorway of the Church ended up in storage at the Brooklyn Museum. One Corinthian Capital, which was made of 32 terra cotta sections is in Storage at Ohio State University. Up until their renovation, there were many fragments in the Columbia University School of Architecture. the Metropolitan Museum of art had a pediment of angels from the church which hung on the exterior library wall, but it was destroyed when the expanded in the 1960's.
The Madison Square Church, even though it only lasted 13 years, had an impact on architecture and design in places all over the United States for decades following its demise. It's this widespread preservation of its fragments that adds significance to this building. Some of its pieces are still in existence, while many of them were tragically destroyed. Madison Square Church Madison Square Church Singer Tower Pennsylvania Station Singer Tower In 1896, the singer company built a 14 story headquarters on the corner of Liberty Street and Broadway. After this building was built, the Singer sewing company was rapidly expanding to areas such as Scotland and Russia. Naturally, the headquarters need to expand and in 1902, Ernest Flagg, who designed the Scottish factory, was assigned to design an extension of the Singer Headquarters. In 1903, Flagg had a vision to make the new building a tower that would reach as high as 35 stories. He proclaimed it would be the tallest in the world
The building began construction between 1906 and 1908.The Singer Tower was routed from two other buildings that were combined to be the Singer headquarters. When the Singer Tower connected all three together with a new main entrance that was two stories in height.
It was the tallest structure in the world until Metropolitan life insurance finished their new headquarters in 1909. The construction of this tower began the age of the skyscraper. It started a competition to see which nation could house the tallest building in the world. This building also sparked a reform campaign in the city of New York to focus on a method to restrict surface area without destroy urban land values Yankee Stadium Yankee Stadium Times Tower Times Tower Welcome to my gallery entitled Lost New York City. In this gallery I am going to reveal five architectural structures that are no longer standing today because they were demolished. These five buildings represent a key piece of the history for the City of New York while connecting to the cultural, political and economic background of New York City. All of the structures being presented were constructed in the 20th century. Some structures were in existence for a longer period of time than other structures; however all of these buildings have made their mark on architectural history.
The first work that will be presented will be Pennsylvania Station, which was constructed in 1907 and demolished in 1963. The images of the terminals, the exterior, the trains all reveal the beauty and magic of that building during its’ existence. You will see in this stage of the exhibit how the station became a reality. I will take you through who came up with the idea for the station, which person designed the station, which person helped construct the station, and the time it took to finish the project.
The next building of the exhibit will be the Madison Square Church. This building has a resemblance to the Villa Rotunda because of the center dome and the resemblance of four entrances. This great piece of architecture only lasted 13 years, but this building still leaves an impression on architecture today. This particular piece is now fragmented in areas all across the United States today. It is used for both educational purposes and for decoration. This piece left a huge mark on history, even though its entirety was only present for a spec of time.
The Third building of this exhibit reveals the prominence of New York City in the early 20th century. The Singer Tower was known during its time for its height. Its stature was large for its time, but it also represented a major turning point for architecture in the modern city. The work of building this structure then began a race to build taller sky scrappers.
The fourth structure is the original Yankee Stadium. This structure is where the Yankees became THE YANKEES. There is a lot of history behind this building. It is filled with political, economic, sports, music, and even religious events under its belt. You will learn about the stadium as it first began as well as the stadium that housed historic events in the history of New York City.
The final structure which you will see is the Times Tower. This building was centered at what is now Times swaure. This structure laid the ground work for the current layout of the City of New York and created what is now the crossroads of the world.
All these structures have drastically contributed to the history of New York City and culture of the United States. by Joe Flanagan Before 1923, the New York Yankees played in the Polo grounds as did the New York Giants. They transferred to this ballpark. It became known as "The House that Ruth Built, and so Yankee Stadium opened on April 8, 1923. The New York Yankees, which were once the Baltimore Orioles took opening day by storm. 60,000 people showed up for the event, and tens of thousands were turned away. This day marked the beginning of a rich baseball history in the city of New York. The Stadium not only became synonymous with the Bronx Bombers, but also became an area that housed many other events such as the Joe Louis v Max Schmeling in 1938, Pope John Paul II's mass in 1979, and Pink Floyd. This stadium is considered one of Major League Baseballs gems along with Fenway Park, Wrigley Field, and Ebbets Field.
The Stadium was financed by the Rupperts, A brewer, and was designed by Osborne Engineering Company of Cleveland Ohio. Once The stadium was built, it housed 5 straight World Series, and many other championships. The Stadium transferred ownership from the Ruperts to the a private party and then to the city of New York. When the Stadium was then re-modeled in 1976, the city picked up the tab. When George Steinbrener purchased them team, he used the stadium until 2009 when a new one was built and this structure was finally torn down in 2011. The Times Tower began construction in 1903 as the New York Times headquarters.By 1905, the building, which was designed by Cyrus L. W. Eiditz and Andrew C. McKenzie, was completed and ready for business. This granite terracota structure became the hot building of what was then called Long Acre Square.The building rose 25 stories and was dubbed the nickname "The Second Flat Iron" because of its shape and resemblance to the Flat Iron building.
The New York Times rapid expansion was too great for this structure, and in 1913, the Times moved out and relocated. They kept the building in their possession until 1961. The new owner took the building, stripped down the building to its steel, and remodeled the building. Although some argue that the building lost it's presence when it was remodeled, the Time Tower was iconic throughout it's entire existence.
During the early 20th century the New York Times and the Herald chose locations for their headquarters. In that period, the headquarters for each publications were centers of commerce. In the end the Times Tower became the hotspot for the city of New York. After the Tower was torn down, one times square was put in its place, and that has become a structure that billions of people can identify. Work Cited