Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Space Exploration Timeline
Transcript of Space Exploration Timeline
1. The plane was based on the Wright's experience testing gliders.
2. The plane is often referred to as Flyer 1 or 1903 Flyer.
3. The pilot flew lying on his stomach to reduce drag.
Credit- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wright_Flyer 1926 First Successful Liquid,Fueled Rocket Launch-
1. A rocket with an engine that uses propellants in liquiud form.
2. Liquid propellants are also used in hybrid rockets.
3. Liquid systems usually have the advantage of higher specific impulse.
Credit- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid-propellant_rocket 1957 First Satellite in space (Sputnik)
1. It was launched by the Soviet Union
2. Sputnik also helped identify the upper atmospheric layer's density.
3. The launch unshered in new political, military, technological, scientific developments.
Credit- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid-propellant_rocket 1961 Man's First Orbit aound the Earth
1. The man the orbited the earth did not have his college degree.
2. He was the fifth person in space.
3. Traveled at about 27,400 km/h
Credit- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low_Earth_orbit#Orbital_characteristics 1967 Apollo I-
1. The name was choosen by the crew
2. Was the first manned test flight of a command and service modul to orbit Earth.
3. The first round of Apollo I failed due to a fire.
Credit- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_1 1930 Discovery of Pluto
1. It is about a fifth of mass of the earths moon.
2. Its the tenth most largest body ever observed orbiting the sun.
3. Pluto is mainly rock and ice.
Credit- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pluto 1969 Apollo XI-
1. It landed the first humans on the moon.
2. The three men returned to Earth with 47.3 pounds of lunar rocks.
3. Reaching the moon was John F. Kennedys goal.
Credit- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_XI 1970 Apollo XIII-
1. The mission had to end the first time because the oxygen tank ruptured.
2. The second time there was an explosion trying to conserve batteries.
3. NASA called the mission a successful failure.
Credit- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_13 1973 U.S Skylap Placed in Orbit-
1. It launched unmanned.
2. Lots of scientific experiments were conducted.
3. Crews were able to confirm the existence of coronal holes in the sun.
Credit- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skylab 1975 Viking lands on Mars-
1. It was the first space craft to successfuly land on Mars.
2. It holds the record for the secong longest Mars suface mission
3. The mission type was an Orbiter.
Credit- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viking_1 1977 Voyagers 1&2 are Launched-
1. Its pupose is to study the outer solar system.
2. It was the first probe to leave the solar system.
3. It is currently an extended mission.
Credit-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voyager_1 1981 First Space Shuttle Flight-
1. The crew size was only two.
2. 1,074,000 miles was the distance travled.
3. It was 20 years after the first manned space flight.
Credit- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STS-1 1989 Voyager 2 reaches Neptune-
1. The most productive unmanned space voyage
2. Voyager 2 has four rings
3. It visited all four of the outer planets and Uranus and Neptune.
Credit-http://www.wired.com/thisdayintech/2010/08/0825voyager2-neptune/ 1986 Challenger diasaster-
1. Broke a part 73 seconds into its flight
2. It disentagrated over the Atlantic Ocean.
3. It was caused because of the o-ring failure.
Credit- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Shuttle_Challenger_disaster 1990 Humble Space Telescope Placed in Orbit-
1. The length was 43.5 feet.
2. It was made for a 15 year old life.
3. Humbles giant mirror weighed 1 ton.
Credit- http://www.aerospaceguide.net/hubblespacetelescope.html 1997 Pathfinder lands on Mars-
1. After 3 hours of landing the path finder sent signals back.
2. The rover would move about 2 inches per hour.
3. It landed great on Mars
Credit- http://starryskies.com/space_exploration/Pathfinder_html/pathfinder.html 1998 International Space Station Construction in Space-
1. Number of orbits 70540
2. Its 51meters.
3. The mass is 375,727
Credit- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Space_Station 2003 Columbia Disaster-
1. Disintergrated over texas.
2. Caused because of cracks in the propellant.
3. All seven crew members passed away.
Credits- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Shuttle_Columbia_disaster Spirit & Opportunity land on Mars-
1. Mission type was Rover
2. It was poered by solar panals
3. The mass was 185 kg.
Credits- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirit_rover Apollo XVII-
1. tHE CREW WAS 3
2.a J- TYPED MISSION
3. It broke several records
Credits- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_17 2004 2009 Space Timeline By- Natalie Wallis