Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Code-switching
culaless Code-switching and Dialects Code-Switching * Promotes bilingual culture * hurts the preservation of indigenous/less used languages
* reflects an unequal power dynamic
* might allow speakers
to fake proficiency
* legitimizing inequality? Communication with variation What is Code-switching? "Substituting a word or phrase from one language with a word or phrase from another language." History of Code-switching Origin of the Term and History of Documentation Types of Variation Importance Connection and Global Communication Less Innocent Uses of Code Switching.... - Code switching never happens in isolation!!
It's all about * recent or established immigrant communities
* former colonial states
* diaspora communities
* minorities with a dialect
or language different from
that of the majority
* others? What is NOT Code-switching? Take a Guess!!! Markedness Model Rights and Obligations sets social forces
normative models social solidarity (see handout) Sequential analysis HOW before WHY
meaning > social values Communication Accommodation Theory emphasize or minimize social differences
links between language, context, identity
convergence/divergence Codeswitching in Bollywood Diglossia one community, two closely related languages or dialects
two varieties of language:
e.g. Chinese: various types of spoken Chinese, Mandarin as official variety equivalence constraint
I like you porque eres simpático.
I saw lo. (Yo lo vi) closed class constraint
(on some chairs) matrix language frame
embedded language functional head constraint
pocos students finished the exam.
pocos estudiantes finished the exam. Dialects Types of Switching Intersentential switching
Intra-word switching * Acts as social glue * Helps preserve heritage * Increases cultural understanding? 1300-1400s Catalan Jews 1947 Mexican-Americans 1953-1954 Today Uriel Weinreich & Hans Vogt Questions If you are working in a bilingual school (dual-immersion), but in a one language classroom setting would you support code-switching or encourage the students to only speak one at a time? Do you think code switching allows people to hide a lack of proficiency? What can be done to ensure the spread of globally dominant languages don't weaken other languages?