Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Copy of REPORTED SPEECH
Transcript of Copy of REPORTED SPEECH
(Statements) We use reported (indirect) speech to say what another person has said. There are some differences though:
Not all of the exact words are used.
Verbs forms and pronouns may change.
Quotation marks are not used.
When we use reported speech, we are usually talking about the past (because the person who spoke originally spoke in the past). The verbs therefore usually have to be in the past too. For example:
"I'm going to the cinema".
He said he was going to the cinema. verbs forms 5+7= (cc) image by anemoneprojectors on Flickr REPORTED SPEECH The tenses generally move backwards
in this way (the tense on the left
changes to the tense on the right): Quoted speech Reported speech 5+7= (cc) image by anemoneprojectors on Flickr present simple
I'm a teacher past simple
He said he was a teacher present continuous
I'm having lunch with my parents past continuous
He said he was having lunch with his parents present perfect continuous
I've been working very hard past perfect continuous
He said he had been working very hard past simple
I bought a new car past perfect
He said he had bought a new car past continuous
It was raining earlier past perfect continuous
He said it had been raining earlier past perfect
The play had started when I arrived past perfect
NO CHANGE POSSIBLE past perfect continuous
I'd already been living in
London for five years past perfect continuous
NO CHANGE POSSIBLE Quoted speech Reported speech 5+7= (cc) image by anemoneprojectors on Flickr will
I'll come and see you soon would
He said he would come and see me soon can
I can swim under water for two minutes could
He said he could swim under water for two minutes must
All tickets must be bought in advance had to
He said that all tickets had to be bought in advance Time and place
references now then
today that day
this week that week
tomorrow the following day
the day after
next week the following week
next Saturday the following Saturday
the next Saturday EXAMPLES quoted speech reported speech I work hard he said he worked hard I am going to do homework she said she was going to do homework EXAMPLES quoted speech reported speech I went to the theatre last night He said he had gone to the theatre the night before I'm having a party next weekend He said he was having a party the next weekend I'm staying here until next week He said he was staying there until the following week I came over from London 3 years ago He said he had come over from London 3 years before EXERCISES 1. Put the following texts into the reported speech with the introducing verbs in the past tense.
My name is Sue Kim. I'm originally from Korea, but I moved to Singapore five years ago. I go to Overseas Family School and I am currently a grade 7 student. I enjoy school life but hate it when we have lots of homework at the weekends. I like to hang out with my friends and we go to the pool or to the cinema. At the moment, I am living in a condo in the East Coast but we may have to move soon. I want to live near school so I can wake up later in the mornings. 2. Put these instructions into reported speech - Wrap it up in a piece of paper
- Cut the corners off
- Fasten your safety belts
Don't sit on my bed
- Wait there until I come
- Don't speak until you're spoken to
- Don't wipe your dirty fingers on my nice clean tablecloth
.- Don't try to be funny
- Brush it off when it gets dry
- Don't put your elbow on the table
- Look where you are going
- Mind the steps
- Get your hair cut I can play soccer he said he could play soccer I have studied english she said she had studied english I will travel to Mexico he said he would travel to Mexico 3. Tom came to visit his friend Yuki who lives in Singapore.
This is what Yuki told Tom about Singapore. Report what he said. * Singapore is a fantastic city .
* The weather is hot .
* I go swimming almost every day.
* Our condo is nice.
* I've made a lot of friends since moving here.
* The food is delicious.
* I'm moving back home again in two years. 4. MORE PRACTICE-TURN THE FOLLOWING
SENTENCES INTO REPORTED SPEECH * "We have moved into our new flat", said my friend.
* "Japan is a densely populated city", the teacher said.
* "You have got my coat", I said crossly.
* "I know exactly what she did", the private detective
explained to his client.
* He said : "My wife wants to take a job".
* "I'll help you with those exercises", Tony said. THANKS! present perfect
I've been in Singapore for ten years past perfect
He said he had been in Singapore for ten years