Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Albinism
What is Albinism?
Albinism is a congenital disorder, meaning that people are usually born with it or it's developed before birth.
By Mimi Toroczkai
People who have it have a partial or complete absence of the pigment in their skin, hair, and eyes.
1908- First reported case
Been around for as long as we know
Slaves with albinism were treated better because they had lighter skin.
The name comes from Latin (albus) meaning white.
Nondisjunction or Heredity?
-Albinism is a hereditary disorder
-Can inherit it if your parents have:
Dominant or Recessive?
-Albinism is a recessive trait
Gene or Chromosome Location
-Gene called Tyrosinase
- 1 in 20,000 people affected worldwide
- Affects all people, genders, races
- Animals are affected
-Fewer females get it than males
-pink or white colored hair, skin and iris
-rapid eye movement
There isn't anything that will get rid of albinism, but there are steps to reduce the symptoms
-Sunscreen, to help reduce sunburns
-Prescription glasses, to help with vision problems