Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Cultural and Religious differences: Pashtun vs. Hazara; Sunni vs. Shi’a
Transcript of Cultural and Religious differences: Pashtun vs. Hazara; Sunni vs. Shi’a
1) Muhammad expounds Islam 2) After Muhammad dies in 632, Abu Bakr became caliph (successor) 3) Under Abu Bakr the Quran starts being created to hold Muhammad's revelations 4) The third caliph, Uthman, is assasinated in 656 5) The assassins nominates Ali for caliph, starts the split of Islam Believe that the first three caliphs are Imams (religious leaders of Islam) Comprises about 83% of all Muslims and is the majority branch in most Muslim countries in Asia and the Middle East Shi'ites (Shi'a) Arabic for sectarian. See Ali as the rightful successor of Muhammad. They believe that the position of Caliph has more secular duties than religious. Seldom hold power. They hold sympathetic feelings for Imam Husayn and other martyrs of Shi'ism. 16% of all Muslims, compirse almost 90% in Iran and more than 50% on Iraq. Believe that they have leaders (imams) who have authority granted by God. They believe that the imam is simply the man who leads the prays and has no absolute authority or power granted by god. Afghanistan: Cultural & Religious Differences INTRO Prior to the 19th century, the Hazars occupied 67% of Afghanistan people. Abdur Rahman declares Jihad on the Hazaras and other Shi'as. By: Argel Algura
William Quach Historical excerpt Since the 1960/70s, The Hazaras have strived to gain political supremacy, thus beginning a civil war. In 1979, the Soviet Union's invasion of the Middle East helped for Hazaran liberation of their homeland. Different hadiths (nararations about the words and deeds of Muhammad). Sunni... & Shi'ites vs. pray five times daily They place great importance on the Hajj to Mecca Pray three times daily. They have multiple important pilgrimage sites. DEMOGRAPHICS In More Detail... A Hazara boy speaking of his ethnicity's hardships. Religous Differences: An even greater division between the two religious branches occured when Husayn was captured and murdered by the Sunni... Speak in Dari, a type of Persian Pashtun Hazara Low rank in ethnic status. Characterized by Mongoloid features (eyefold and beard). Hazaras have the option to be Shi'a/Sunni, although most are Shi'a. Reputations based on generosity Most politically powerful ethnic group If a Pashtun has been dishonored, they are expected to seek revenge. Pashtuns MUST be Sunnis. Most diverse, comprised of about seven tribes. Women must marry at or above their class; Men, at or below. Low status discourages other groups from marrying them vs. Pashtuns speak in an official language of Afghanistan, Pashtu. Diet consists of meat and dairy products Staples for their diet include rice, vegetables, milk products, meat, eggs, and fruit. 1.5 to 4.3 million Hazara people in central Afghanistan 8 to 9 million Pashtun people Although they look down upon the Hazaras for their apparent Mongol ancestry, the Pashtun are more related to the Mongolian. This includes certain terms, tribal names, etc derivative of Mongol background Hazara women are expected to stay within the domain and work. Pashtun women are able to participate in agricultural occupations. Cultural Differences: The Pashtun follow a communal bond under the Pashtunwalli, which identifies how certain people should behave Most members of extended family share the same dwelling. This includes grandparents and a wife's family A wife and her children are expected to live with their husband and his family