Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Earth's Rotation and the Coriolis Effect
Transcript of Earth's Rotation and the Coriolis Effect
developed by Gustave-Gaspard Coriolis in 1835
So pretty much...
"The line between Portland, Maine, and Portland, Oregon, for instance, is very long, and fairly straight. However, a plane flying from Portland, Oregon, could not fly in a straight line and land in Portland, Maine. Flying east, the Coriolis effect seems to bend to the right, in a southerly direction. If the Oregon pilot flew in a straight line, the plane would end up near New York or Pennsylvania."
"deflection of an object's path"
rotation has important influence on climate and the direction of prevailing winds
it changes the original path of an object based on rotation of earth and its winds.
Earth rotates eastward
the velocity of the rotation
is at 0 at the polls and maximum at the equator