Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Mariott's Market Segmentation
Transcript of Mariott's Market Segmentation
What are Marriott's Target Markets
Marriott believes all customers require a base service level and that customers differ in their willingness to pay for different levels of comfort and luxury. That is why they created a tier of different style hotels varying from price and amenities to meet each consumers wants, needs and income.Approximately 3,747 properties -14 brands in 72 countries.
What Segmentation Characteristics are being used?!
Ex. Luxury hotels are in metropolitan cities such as NYC, London, Paris, LA. No Ritz Carlton in Buffalo.
What Type of Segmentation Does Marriott Employ?
Marriott uses multi-stage segmentation. They have tailored their brand named hotels to cater to distinctive target markets. For example their brand offers the following hotel options:
Have new services, packages or promotion efforts been introduced to more finely key in on target markets?
YES, a great example of market segmentation strategy is featured on Marriott’s main web page. They are targeting Football fans who are VISA card owners, an NFL MVP Combo. Pay with your Visa Card and get a $20 Visa Gift Card and NFL MVP Combo Snack Pack.
Luxury/seasoned traveler/high income bracket and middle-upper age/Business Professionals/Singles/Weddings/special occasions/upscale business meetings
Business Travelers (short and long term)/ Upper and Middle Class/ not a lot of time/need tech amenities/Travelers that are soaking up the sites long term/Young Business Professionals/Singles/Conferences and meetings
Families/Couples/Seasoned travelers/location and convenience – middle class/Singles
(income, religion, culture, education) – there are tiers of hotels in specific areas contingent on the needs and wants of the consumer. There is a tier for every income within the Marriot organization. Age – each hotel chain offers different services for specific age groups
Purpose of the trip
– splitting it into two groups (keeping in mind that some of the tiers fall into the same category) Corporate vs. pleasure/leisure. What does the consumer want when choosing a hotel? Why are they traveling and what amenities does that particular hotel offer that suit their needs?
– the lifestyle that the individual is accustomed to. For example a jet-setter residing in Beverly Hills is going to want to stay in accommodations that they are used to. They would be more likely to pick a JW Marriot over a Fairfield to meet their needs.
– brand loyalty, frequency, usage status, benefits. Marriot offers a reward program with free nights, upgrades, different third party promotions to appeal to its loyal customers
– consumers have specific services that appeal to them. Fitness, sustainability, technological needs.
– specific tiers market with a different approach. They can target the customer directly, through third parties or generalize their marketing to meet all consumers that are frequent/potential customers. Ex. The new campaign for Gen Y/X – directly marketing to the younger generation of professionals and travelers. It is specific to them and only them.
JW Marriott, Gaylord Hotels, The Ritz Carlton, Edition Hotels, Autograph Collection, Renaissance Hotels, AC Hotels, Marriott Hotels and Resorts, Courtyard, Fairfield Inn and Suites, SpringHill Suites, Residence Inn, TownePlace Suites, Marriott Executive Apartments, Marriott Vacation Club and Conference Centers.
These hotels cater to a wide array of target markets; budget shoppers to elite spenders, business travelers to family vacationers. They have uniquely created their brand names to satisfy the wants and needs of mostly every clientele. You will find spa packages, couples retreats, business convention opportunities, American girl doll weekend getaways and hotspot weekends where Marriott arranges a tour of local attractions.
There were numerous Christmas themed packages promoted at Marriotts larger city locations.
Marriott Hotels, the flagship brand of Marriott International and THANN, a natural Thai skincare line, announced their partnership to reinvigorate the guestroom beauty experience by rolling out a new amenities line in Marriott properties throughout the Americas and Asia. “Marriott Hotels is on a journey to reimagine the future of travel and THANN amenities will elevate the guest experience at our hotels,” said Matthew Carroll, vice president, Brand Management, Marriott Hotels. “Our research shows that customers rank bathroom amenities among the top five most important influences on their overall guest room experience. Partnering with THANN will also enable Marriott to meet another customer desire for the introduction of new amenities on a regular basis.
With the expansion of mobile check-in feature on the Marriott Mobile App, guests can now check-in to most Marriott Hotels properties in the United States and Canada using their smartphones.
How could Marriott Improve its Market Segmentation Practices/Efforts?
-Marriott online marketing portal
Marriott segment marketing slightly differ
Improve difference between business and upper scale
What specific trends do you see affecting future marketing segmentation practices?
Purpose of trip trends- targeted customers needing find restaurants, meeting rooms