Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
PAUSING AND LINKING
Transcript of PAUSING AND LINKING
USES OF PAUSES
1. To make meanings clear
2. To emphasize a particular idea.
3. For special effects.
4. To enable the speaker catch his breath when saying a long sentence.
SIGNALS FOR PAUSES:
1. Before punctuation marks.
2. Before conjunctions.
3. Between gramatical units such as phrases, clauses and sentences.
WHAT IS PAUSING?
- This is the grouping of words or syllables altogether into larger units that conveys a thought.
- a short period of silence following a word or group of words of related words
- use the [j] sound to link vowels like long
, and short
LINKING CONSONANT TO AN INITIAL VOWEL
-the final consonant sound of a content is often joined to the initial vowel sound word next to it.
- a DOUBLE VERTICAL BAR
is used to represent a distinct pause.
- in DIRECT SPEECH (in both fiction and non-fiction), a pause is conventionally indicated by
ELLIPSIS POINTS (...) or a DASH (-)
- use a short [w] links vowels like long
(as in food) and short
Three Types of Linking
1. She wanted to go to school
but they can't afford it.
2. When I walked in,
I heard the loud booming voice.
3. She was introduced twice by her teachers,
Dr. Asuncion and
- simply defined as the process of
joining words smoothly
to each other without adding extra sounds or omitting final consonants.
LINKING TWO VOWELS
1. 'You ask' is said
2. 'Two apples is sais
3. 'You are' is said
4. Go under' is said
1. 'My eye' is said "
2. My application' is said
3. 'My office' is said
4. 'Fuzzy umbrella' is said
1. 'Just a moment' is said
2. 'Get away' is said
3. 'Firs of All' is said
Pausing and linking adds power, drama to your speech. Use it wisely and intelligently.