Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Thesis Article Presentation
Transcript of Thesis Article Presentation
- using mathematical models to predict where and when a hurricane will hit
- Meteorological vs. Statistical - An accurate forecast of a tropical storm can be the difference in hundreds of lives
- Can also allow people more time to prepare their property for the conditions NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER
(NHC) - United States agency
- located in Coral Gables, Florida
- combine hundreds of computer models to come up with the most accurate forecasts BACKGROUND INFORMATION DR. THOMAS CURRY'S MODEL FOR PREDICTING HURRICANE LANDFALL - wanted to improve outdated models
-time series analysis
-the use of past conditions, locations, and tracks of hurricanes TIME SERIES ANALYSIS Mott, T. B. (1993, March). Including Maximum
Sustained Wind Speed in a Time Series Model to Forecast Hurricane Movement (Master's Thesis No. AFIT/GOR/ENS/93M-14). Wright- Patterson AFB, OH: Air Force Institute of Technology. Works Cited Questions? HURRICANE ANDREW HURRICANE IRENE Hurricane Ivan Standard Notation * looks at history
* looks for patterns
* order is crucial