Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Copy of Copy of Biology Chapter 3 - Ecology
Transcript of Copy of Copy of Biology Chapter 3 - Ecology
Interdepence Methods of Study How does matter cycle? Producers
aka - autotrophs 2 types
chemosynthesis plants (land)
some algae (water)
(salt marshes &
tidal flats) Sunlight is the main energy source Consumers
aka - heterotrophs 5 types
decomposers Energy flow through an ecosystem in one direction sun producers consumers decomposers food chain -
series of steps in which energy is transfered by eating and being eaten food web -
links all food chains in an ecosystem together Trophic levels -
each step in a food chain or food web Ecological Pyramids
matter or energy
for each trophic level Biogeochemical Cycles
Matter is recycled
passes through living things
passes through the earth Law of Conservation of Matter Nutrient -
all chemical substances an organism needs to live phosphorus
cycle Water cycle Nitrogen
Cycle If a nutrient is in short supply, it will limit an organism's growth When a single nutrient is scarce or cycles slowly, it limits an ecosystem
- Limiting Nutrient algal blooms Levels of Organization biosphere biome ecosystem community population organism observing experimenting modeling Biosphere The part of earth in which all life exists
air 11 Km below earth's surface to 8 Km above What is it ? How does energy flow? Ecology 3 types
numbers Organism A living thing within an ecosystem Population A group of(same) organisms living in an area Community Ecosystem Biome Biosphere Very Large region characterized by a special type of climate and animal communities Desert Savanna Forest Spark Tundra (cc) image by nuonsolarteam on Flickr Aquatic Temperate grassland Tiaga Tropical Rainforest A community of living organisms along with non-living components Living? Non-living? Groups of species that live in the same habitat and interact with each other It all starts with the SUN! http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/other-shows/videos/assignment-discovery-shorts-energy-flow.htm http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/other-shows/videos/assignment-discovery-shorts-ecosystem.htm The Producers Plants - Land
Algae - Water
Bacteria - land/water 2 feeding types-
2. Chemosynthesis Make their own food and provide energy for the rest of us. Your owe them your life... Plant-eating Meat-eating All-eating Debris-eating "Garbage-disposals" * Remember...All this "Eating" is about getting Energy http://videos.howstuffworks.com/discovery/27997-assignment-discovery-the-food-web-video.htm Ecology
Latin - "House" Quiz Time? How Do We Show Trophic Levels? Remember!!! Each level only gets about 10% of the energy from the level below it.