Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Culturally Diverse Students
Transcript of Culturally Diverse Students
Why Should We Care?
Culture comes from experiences gained throughout your life. “Culture is a man’s medium. This means personality, how people express themselves, and the way they think” (Hollins, 1996).
What does it mean to be
“What is valued and viewed as gifted in one culture may not be considered gifted in another culture" (Ford, 2004).
If we are culturally diverse,
then how do you recognize giftedness?
Sense of Humor
So, how do I know if this student is gifted;
How do they not fit a "traditional" model?
What are the special needs of the culturally diverse
and how can these needs be addressed?
How can we help this special population
and why should we care?
Let's think perception for a moment
• All white Americans are obese, lazy, and dim-witted.
• all Mexicans are lazy and came into America illegally.
• All Arabs and Muslims are terrorists.
• All Blacks outside of the United States are poor.
• All Jews are greedy.
• All Asians are good at math.
• All Irish people are drunks.
Who needs to??
Use of Language
Look for the following characteristics:
Academically challenging environment
Highly qualified teacher
Student centered learning environment
Variety of learning styles
Resources and training for teachers and admin
Thank you for your time
and consideration for our
culturally diverse gifted learners
Poll Everywhere Sign In
Please go to: