Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
The Milky Way
Transcript of The Milky Way
The Milky Way is shaped in a large whirlpool, which rotates fully every 200 million years. It is made up of at least 100 billion stars, along with dust and gas. The sun and all of the planets are about half way through the Milky Way.
15 percent of the Milky Way is made up of dust. The Romans invented the name of the Milky Way. The Romans got the name from the Greeks, who called it the 'Galaxias Kyklos' which means 'Milky Circle'. It has a halo that you can't see directly, because a cloud of gas and dust has formed around it. Scientists think that it contains a gargantuan black hole that swallows anything that passes too close.The stars surrounding the Milky Way are approximately 13.6 billion years old.
Pictures of the Milky Way
The Milky Way had begun forming about 12 billion years ago, and it is part of a group of approximately 50 galaxies called the Local Group.There is enough dust and gas surrounding the Milky Way to create billions more stars.To see it you don't need a telescope.
The Milky Way