Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
All About Oedipus The King or Oedipus REX
Transcript of All About Oedipus The King or Oedipus REX
First performed 429 BCE
Oedipus the King
1)What is the situation in Thebes at the beginning of the play?
2) What news does Creon bring Oedipus?
3) According to Creon, what happened to former King Laius?
4) What does Oedipus decide to do?
5) Who is Teiresias ?
6) When is the crisis/moment of reversal in the play?
7) What is the climax of this play? (What happens?)
8) Why does Oedipus punish himself instead of killing himself?
9) At the end of the play, what is Oedipus's greatest concern?
Who is the protagonist of this play?
Is there an antagonist?
Is there a raisonneur?
What is "idea" of this play?
How well did you read?
Working with your team, find a passage of
the play that you think best expresses the idea--the meaning behind the play.
Underline it or write in on an index card.
Someone from your team will read it aloud to the class
Remember, Aristotle thought that idea, or what we might call theme or the spine of the play was very important.
One of the elements that increase suspense is Sophocles' use of IRONY
What is Irony?
Irony is the disjunction or disconnect between what seems to be true and what is true.
In other words the use of words or plot to convey a meaning that is the opposite of its literal meaning