Loading presentation...

Present Remotely

Send the link below via email or IM


Present to your audience

Start remote presentation

  • Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
  • People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
  • This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
  • A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
  • Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article

Do you really want to delete this prezi?

Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.


Make your likes visible on Facebook?

Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.

No, thanks

AmeriCorps Education Award

A presentation on using the Segal Education Award for: a degree, student loans, study abroad, outdoor education, and enrichment classes. Relevant to AmeriCorps VISTA, State/National, and NCCC members.

Andrea Gewirtzman

on 1 May 2014

Comments (0)

Please log in to add your comment.

Report abuse

Transcript of AmeriCorps Education Award

make student loan payments!
and even take
wilderness education

"You can use your award to take a class here and there at a community college or public university — just as long as it's Title IV or an institution that accepts the G.I. Bill.

You can take classes like guitar, swimming, photography, or anything else that's offered.

The award can also apply to writer's conferences and other activities offered through [these] schools."

- "http://edaward.org/guidebook/enrichment-classes"
and other enrichment classes.
see the world
while studying

The complete list is available at http://edaward.org/guidebook/list-eligible-loans
You can use your award for most federal and state loans.
You can pay back part (or all) of the pricipal.

You can also make monthly loan payments.
For more information, see http://edaward.org/guidebook/repayment-options
National Outdoor Leadership School (NOLS)
Outward Bound
"NOLS takes students of all ages on remote wilderness expeditions and teaches them technical outdoor skills, leadership, and environmental ethics."
Courses include:

Wilderness medicine
Backcountry skiing
"Outward Bound [takes] people of all ages on adventures that build character, teach leadership skills and inspire a service ethic."
Outward Bound runs programs across the country.
Photo credits:
Harvard Photo - John Lemke
Postcard - ClintJCL
Post-it Note - Peteris B
Tent -
You can pay for vocational school,
community college, a bachelor's degree,
or graduate school

Application details here:
You can use your award at ANY school that processes US/ federal financial aid (a Title IV school).
Some schools "match" the education award, offer other scholarships, and/or provide credit hours to AmeriCorps alum.
Search for your Title IV school here: http://www.finaid.org/fafsa/tiv.phtml
The complete list is available at: http://www.americorps.gov/for_organizations/highered/ed_award_match.asp
Many overseas schools accept Title IV funding. For these schools, you should enroll in the normal fashion and then direct your education award to be paid to the school.

You can find a list at https://fafsa.ed.gov/FAFSA/app/schoolSearch?locale=en_EN by selecting "Foreign Country" in the state dropdown menu.
You can also use your award to pay for study abroad programs run by US schools.

Many community colleges run programs that are available to non-degree students and those who already have a BA degree.

www.ccieworld.org offers a list of study abroad programs run by community colleges in California.
Application details here:
Full transcript