Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
"The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County"
Transcript of "The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County"
"The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County" By: Mark Twain
Point of View
The Main Conflict
The theme of this story is that you need to be smart about what you're betting on and know what you're getting yourself into. Know that it will always come back around.
The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County is set in a country side old western isolated place called Calaveras county. This story is about Mark Twain being told a story by Simon Wheeler in a Camp of Angel's in Calaveras County. The camp is a mining camp in the county.
- The man who told the story of Smiley and all of his gambling.
- The man who bet on everything he could. If he could make money on something, he would figure out to win that bet. Smiley is the protagonist because the story is about him and the mistake he makes.
- This is the name of the frog that could out-jump any other frog.
- This is the man who filled the frogs belly with shotgun pellets to make Smiley's frog not move. The stranger is the antagonist because he is opposing Smiley.
This is the way Mark Twain started the story by telling us of Simon Wheeler who told us his story of Smiley.
This is the part of the story where we learn about Smiley's gambling addiction that he's had throughout his life.
The climax is the part when they start the race and Daniel(Smiley's Frog) can't move from the ground.
The falling action is when Smiley picks up his frog and realizes that he had around 5 pounds of quail shot in his stomach.
The resolution is when Smiley tries to catch the stranger who cheated him, but the stranger gets away. This is also when Mark Twain closes the story by saying goodbye to Wheeler and leaving the tavern.
- Within himself, Smiley had a large problem with gambling.
- Smiley was cheated out of his money by the stranger, who put quail shot in Daniel's stomach.
The point of view is switched from First to Third person throughout the story. Mark Twain starts off by telling the story then Simon Wheeler starts telling the story about Smiley. Mark Twain wrote the story this way because he wanted to get an outside perspective and to make a point about tall tales.
Some of the literary devices that were found in this story were mood, tone, Hyperbole, vernacular.
: Confident and risky because he will bet on anything.
: Arrogant because he is overly confident.
: "'Why, blame my cats, if he don't weigh five pounds!'" (643 Twain)
: "'Lay for a chance to steal something.'" (641 Twain)
: Throughout the story Twain exagerates events within the story such as gambling and the consequences of gambling.