Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of William Shakespeare
and Dipal Patel William Shakespeare: Plays and Quotes A quote is something someone says during his/her life, a book, or a play. What is a Quote? Shakespeare wrote three different types of plays:
HISTORIES 3 Main Types of Plays 2 Shakespeare Tragedies Tragedy 3 Shakespeare Histories: Histories Comedies Tragedies Quotes A tragedy is a type of play that has an unhappy ending and concerns the downfall of the main character. - Macbeth
- Romeo and Juliet A history is a kind of play that considers the past as a whole and refers back to ealier events and records. -king Richard III
-King Henry V
-King Henry VIII King Richard III A Shakespearean comedy is defined as a short story that has a happy ending and often consists of mistaken identity and frequent use of puns. 3 famous comedies written by Shakespeare: All's Well That Ends Well -Helena is in love with the Count and cures the king of a fatal illness.
-The king allows her to choose a noble husband and she chooses Betram.
-The Count says they shall marry if she can get a ring from his finger.
-He goes off to fight for the Duke of Florence and Helena follows ,disguised as a pilgrim, and stays with Diana's mom. --Betram falls for Diana and tries to pursue her.
-Helena changes places with Diana and obtains Betram's ring. Betram repents for cheating on her and they marry. Three witches tell MacBeth he will be king and Banquo the ancestor of the king.
MacBeth kills King Duncan and takes the throne.
Suspicion and insecurity drives him to murder.
Kills Macduff's family. (warned by the witches)
Prophecy: "none of woman-born" can harm him. He will be undefeated "till Birnam wood come to Dunsinane."
His wife, Lady MacBeth, babbles about the murders when she sleepwalks because she is guilty. She then commits suicide.
Malcolm, King Duncan's son, marches with English support ( Scottish lords and Macduff) against MacBeth.
Macbeth finds out that the witchs' prophecies are untrue, and courageously fights Macduff and dies. (hand-to-hand combat) MacBeth -Oberon and Puck work with a special love potion.
-Hermia wants to elope with Lysander, but she's arranged to marry Egeus. The punishment for disobedience is death.
-Helena, Hermia's friend, loves Demetrius.
-Oberon wants to make Demetrius fall in love with Helena but accidentally makes both Lysander and Demetrius fall in love with Helena.
-Meanwhile, Oberon is angry at Titania (the fairy queen), so he makes her fall in love with the (literally) donkey-headed Bottom.
-The spell is eventually taken away and things are made right with everyone.
-The wedding celebrations of Theseus and Hippolyta form a background for the play. A Midsummer Night's Dream The exiled Duke, Prospero, has lived alone on an enchanted island with Miranda, his daughter.
-He was driven out of dukedom by his brother, Antonio.
-A tempest (a raging windstorm) throws Antonio and his friends to the island.
-Ferdinand, son of a king who is one of Antonio's confederates, falls for Miranda.
-Prospero is using his spells to seek revenge of those who banished him.
-Juno and Ceres give their blessings to Ferdinand and Miranda. They marry. The Tempest Comedy Quotes "No legacy is as rich as honesty."
-All's Well That Ends Well
"Simple the thing I am shall make me live."
-All's Well That Ends Well
"Cupid is a knavish lad
Thus to make poor females mad."
-A Midsummer Night's Dream
"He that dies pays all debts."
-The Tempest Quotes History Quotes - All's Well That Ends Well
- A Midsummer Night's Dream
- The Tempest King Richard wanted to slaughter his way through to get to the throne. He set himself to get rid of all how were loyal to the king. The Duke of Buckingham was Richard's companion. The Duke turned against him, but Richard captured and executed him . Meanwhile Richard was rejoicing over his horrible reputation for marrying Anne, who was the widow of the dead son of Henry VI whom Richard had murdered. He poisoned her after she had served her turn. Richard started making alliances with Edward IV's daughter, Elizabeth. But to unfortunately for him, Henry, Earl of Richmond, defeated and killed Richard at Bosworth. He then succeeded as Henry VII. King Henry V King Henry crossed to France, captures Harfleur, and his army won the victory of Agincourt. king Henry won princess Katherine's heart. She was the daughter of the French King. From earlier plays, Bardolf was hanged for looting and crime. Pistol planed to return to his old trade. This play covers the period from 1414 to 1420. Cardinal Wolsey brought his own downfall when the miscarrying of a letter reveals to the king of Wolsey's plots with the pope. At the same time Queen Katherine had been brougth to trial. Hing Henry choose a beautiful women named Anne Bullen to be Katherine's successor. Elizabeth would be the future queen with her successor James. (It is agreed amongst many people that the greater part is not by Shakespeare but by John Fletcher who was another great dramatist.) King Henry VIII "All things are ready, if our mind be so." -King Henry V
"God shall be my hope, my stay, my quide and lantern to my feet." -King Henry V
"For goodness sake consider what you do. How you may hurt yourself-ay, utterly. Grow from the King's acquaintances, by this carriage." -King Henry VIII
"Slave! I have set my life upon a cast, And I will stand the hazard of the "-King Richard III Capulets and Montagues are adversaries
Capulets threw a party: Romeo and Juliet fall in love there.
Romeo hears her singing on her balcony and sneaks into her garden.
They exchange vows, and get married secretly the next day by Friar Laurence.
Romeo banished because of a fight between Capulets and Montagues.
Juliet fakes her death. (drug from Friar Laurence)
Romeo doesn't get message from Friar Laurence.
Romeo goes to the Capulet tomb and kills Paris; he then poisons himself and dies next to Juliet.
Juliet wakes up then stabs herself to death. Romeo and Juliet To be or not to be, that is the question. - Hamlet
"Knock knock, who's there?" "What is done is done." - MacBeth
"a pair of star-crossed lovers" - Romeo and Juliet
"O Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art thou Romeo?" - Romeo and Juliet
"wild-goose chase" - Romeo and Juliet
"parting is such sweet sorrow" - Romeo and Juliet