Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
My Intern Experience at WPRO
Transcript of My Intern Experience at WPRO
Work at WPRO
Honors Bachelor of Health Sciences - Specialization in Health Promotion
The University of Western Ontario
Practicum on active and safe routes to school
Master of Public Administration
Queen's University at Kingston
Research project analyzing tobacco policies and correlation to consumption
Volunteer and work experience on a variety of public health topics, such as:
tobacco industry denormalization
artificial tanning beds
urban planning in school zones
Brings me to the WHO
Noncommunicable Diseases and Health Through the Life Course
TOR #1: Publications
Provide support in finalization of various health promotion publications related to physical activity in schools.
- Learned about WPRO initiatives
- Health promotion-related and not!
- Technical knowledge for designing programs
- i.e. best practices somewhere may not work elsewhere
- Applying knowledge and skills to future work
August 6 - September 17, 2014
My Intern Experience at the World Health Organization: Western Pacific Regional Office
healthy public policy
A picture is worth a 1000 words.
1. Provide support in finalization of various health promotion publications related to physical activity in schools.
2. Help develop an advocacy fact sheet for local legislators in the Philippines to advocate for smoke-free policies in cities.
Terms of Reference (TOR)
Physical activity in schools publication for WPRO.
Document for the establishment of health promotion foundations.
- STEPS IN SETTING UP Health Promotion Foundations
- ThaiHealth Fund: Case Study
Action Plan to Reduce the Double Burden of Malnutrition in the Western Pacific Region statistics update.
Garden Based Learning in Schools: a Tool Kit
TOR #2: Publications
Help develop an advocacy fact sheet for local legislators in the Philippines to advocate for smoke-free policies in cities.
ASEAN (Association of Southeast Asian Nations) Regional Workshop
Other Tobacco Control Initiatives
- Wrote a case study on Australia's plain packaging
- Wrote a case study on the Healthy Cities Approach and Balanga city's approach
- Completed an intern hub presentation on tobacco industry marketing strategies and denormalization
Gleanings from WPRO Work
- Context, context, context!
i.e. enforcement vs. legislature
- Importance of political will and champion
- Cultural differences
i.e. celebrations and Balanga ladies
- Importance of unique solutions
i.e. scale of country and Health Promotion Foundations
Brown Bag Sessions
- Various intern presentations
- Intern hubs
- Philippines General Hospital Tour
- Lunch with the Regional Director
Phenomenal Experience not Possible Without:
- Supervisor, Kelvin Khow
- Staff members
- Trips, core classes, cultural knowledge
- Sharing knowledge and great experiences
- It's more fun in the Philippines
Please keep in touch!
View of Manila Bay
View of WPRO
- Increasing Physical Activity in Schools: a Tool Kit
The Fraud of the Tobacco Industry
August 12, 2014
August 18, 2014
August 7, 2014
Various Celebrations at WPRO
Core Training Exercise Classes
Adventures Around the Philippines