Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Mining DNA
Presence/absence (pathogens, etc.)
Can detect specific groups & species
Can be from anything - fish, plants,mammals
Sequence members of the population for ID Working with DNA Mining Applications Bio-mining Technology Bioleaching Acid Mine Drainage & Biology Mining DNA Fish
Biodiversity Simple Complex Sample Isolate DNA Analysis Soil
Biological Material Open biological
Isolate DNA from
components Polymerase Chain Reaction
creates lots of small pieces of DNA
target specific genes - 3 types of bugs - Acid tolerant
- Catalyze pyrite to ferric ions using oxygen and water AMD Microbes How to use DNA Are AMD bacteria present in samples? Yes No - design processes to minimize air & water access to waste stream
- design processes to neutralize/remediate leachates - design a smaller scale neutralization/remediation process Mine Design
Maximizing Resource Recovery the use of bacteria to extract metals Low-Grade Ore /Mine Waste Microbial Culture Heap bioleaching Extraction Solution Acid Bacteria can: - remove dissolved minerals from waste piles etc
- neutralize water for release or recycle Copper Cathodes Example: Copper Recovery DNA can be used to: - identify the correct bacteria to use
- monitor the system Every living thing has DNA Environmental Monitoring What can we do with mine discharge? Aquatic Sampling - Fish collection, DNA sampling
- Benthic and sediment sampling
- DNA leads to understanding of species community structure (diversity, population size, etc.)
- Diatoms used in effects monitoring
- detect structural growth defects which may indicate presence of heavy metals Environmental Effects Monitoring (EEM)
Metal Mining Effluent Regulations (MMER) Wetland Monitoring DNA to identify indicators & species
- Leopard Frog (at risk) Environmental
Considerations Vegetation Wildlife Biodiversity Rare Plants -Botanist vs. DNA sampling
- Rare or not?
DNA to identify
Accurate reporting and documentation Wildlife Habitat Biodiversity - Simplified sampling
- Complete identification
- Regional population data Pyrosequencing Splachnum rubrum Splachnum luteum Reclamation Baseline Hybrid vs. Native? Saxifraga Good baseline understanding
Environmental Monitoring What's involved in reclaiming a mine site?