Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Copy of World Geography
Transcript of Copy of World Geography
* discovered St. Lawrence River
Samuel de Champlain
* Discovered three large lakes:
Ontario, Huron, and Champlain
* Father of the New World
Two French Explorers
of the New World
These two countries tried to lay claim to land and divided it between them.
* Line of Demarcation- first division and Portugal did not receive much of the land.
* Treaty of Tordesillas- new line of division giving Portugal the east portion of the land and Spain a central portion.
Spain and Portugal were the first to discover South America
Spain and Portugal
* Strong Catholic faith
* Did not believe in educating their colonist
* Viceroys ruled over New Spain (in the place of the king because the Atlantic Ocean separated the New and Old world)
* Donatarios- ruled over New Portugal (12 nobles of Bazil)
Barrios: Poor neighborhoods in colonial
Mestizos: children of Indian and
Haciendas: large country estates
Peninsulares: Spaniards born in Spain and living in colonies
Creoles: Full-blooded Spaniards or Portuguese born in America
Caudillos: replaced weak governments with their own dictatorship
Gauchos: cowboys in aurgentina
Guiana: popular name for south American settlements
Under Spain and Portugal we have:
* The New Laws of 1542
* Coffee became the largest export crop
*Sugar and Silver were natural resources for
*Portugal began to buy African slaves
*The Jesuits order was expelled from South America.
New Countries began to settle in South America:
France, English, and Dutch (Netherlands)
*John Smith and Sir Thomas Dale settled in Jamestown.
* Thomas Dale brought discipline and helped this colony thrive.
* These English colonies brought religious freedoms.
* The pilgrims and puritans wanted to
separate from the church of England.
Simon Bolivar: Venezuelan that liberated
Venezuela and Colombia
Pedro I: Portuguese nobility that gave the
famous cry "Independence or death!"
Jose de San Martin: Argentine leader liberated
Chile and Peru