Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
A Worn Path by Eudora Welty
Transcript of A Worn Path by Eudora Welty
-"bright frozen day in the early morning" (pg. 795, p. 1)
-"up above her was a tree in a pearly cloud of mistletoe" (pg.796 p.16) "A Worn Path" by Eudora Welty "Out of my way all you foxes, owls, beetles... keep out from under these feet,...keep the big wild hogs out of my path. Dont let none of those come running my direction. I got a long way." (pg. 795 p. 3) "everytime she took a step she might have fallen over her shoelaces, which dragged from her unlaced shoes. She looked straight ahead" (pg. 795 p.2) "'Walk pretty',she said, 'this the easy place. This the easy going'." (pg. 797 p. 30)
"I bound to go to town, mister," (pg. 798 p 48)
"I bound to go on my way, mister," (pg. 798 p. 61) perseverance
focus statement: In Eudora Welty's short story, "A Worn Path," the character Phoenix Jackson's overcoming of obstacles throughout her journey demonstrates how she asserts life and determination in the face of death and hardship. Phoenix the Bird
- mythical sacred fire bird
-reborn from own ashes, immortal
job is to protect
- journey to get medicine for grandson similar features:
- tail of gold and scarlet (fire)
-"golden color ran underneath, and the two knobs of her cheeks were illuminated by the yellow burning under the dark. Under her red rag her hair came down on her neck..." (pg. 795 p. 2)
500-1000 year life cycle
-"her eyes were blue with age. Her skin had a pattern all its own of numberless branching wrinkles and as though a whole little tree stood in the middle of her forehead" (pg. 795, p. 2)
-"This made a grave and persistent noise in the still air, that seemed meditative like the chirping of a solidarity little bird." (pg. 795, p. 1)
-"A bird flew by." (pg. 798, p. 55)
-"He wear a little patch quilt and peep out holding his mouth open like a little bird." (pg. 800, p. 94) death and rebirth, immortality
-"there was a fixed and ceremonial stiffness over her body."
-"There was sweat on her face, the wrinkles in her skin shone like a bright net."
-"She makes these trips just as regular as clockwork."
-"But Phoenix only waited and stared straight ahead, her face very solemn and withdrawn into rigidity."
-"At last there came a flicker and then a flame of comprehension across her face,"
- pg. 799-800 "Thorns, you doing your appointed work. Never want to let folks pass.... she stood free, and after a moment dared to stoop for her cane." (pg. 796 p.10-11)
-"There she had to creep and crawl...fast where she was." (pg. 796 p. 17)