Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of whiteness
in the essential differences between men and between cultures.
He will learn that differences in ideas and attitudes
are a delight, part of life's exciting variety, not something to fear."
-Gene Roddenberry Racism is the belief that race is a primary determinant of human traits and capacities and those racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race. Or, on the opposite side, racism can be described as the belief that a certain race or races portray undesirable characteristics Macaelagh Coyle
Sociology of Whiteness
Small Step: Speak Up Brainstorming:
1. Cultural/ Social Change is vital in working towards racial equality.
2. Education can change the way the next generation looks out into the world
in which racial inequality is a very real issue today.
3. Ultimatly, we can only really control the way in which we look out into our
-RESPECT for others is vital. Getting to know the "other" is an important way
to gain equality. It can lead to an integration which comes naturally, due to
mutual respect and genuine interest in other cultures. In a meeting with Dr. Redd..... "My stepfather tells alot of racist jokes...
Usually I say something about it, because it makes me uncomfortable.
I am offended that he thinks that when he is in my presence, he is
in a 'safe zone' to exhibit his racism." 'SAY SOMETHING' ASSIGNMENT fOR ME, QUESTIONING RACIAL STEREOTYPES CAME AS A LEARNING PROCESS THAT JUST SORT OF 'HAPPENED.'
iT WASNT A PROCESS THAT I SOUGHT OUT. White, female, American, Irish, Catholic, heterosexual...
*"insider groups" i belong to* experience with those outside
of my insider groups led to a
questioning process Ex: Mosetta, Luzana, Morgan My life: speaking up: All i can do is hope that "saying something"
is making at least a small difference.