Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Medieval theatre
Drama inside the Church – Liturgical Drama
-plays put on by the Church to teach bible stories
-first players were the monks
- Liturgy is medieval drama, based on incidents in the Bible and performed in churches on holy days, usually in Latin and often chanted.
-used religious character themes to teach a moral lesson
-dramatized events from the bible or plays about events.
- from approx. 500 to 1500 A.D. is the period of the Middle Ages in theatre history
Types of plays
-Plays about lives of saints
-Guilds were an association of tradesmen with the same trade who would act out a part of the bible to do with their trade which was called a cycle.
-A rolling stage on a wagon with multiple levels.
People could walk along the side.
-Large stages were set up in the town square, with different areas representative of different stages of life
During medieval ages , stages could be either fixed or movable...
-a play based on the last week in the life of Christ.
-John Ashton wrote a passion play called "The Passion of Christ"
-Hrosvitha, german femal writer.
- single actor played different characters in one play because they were poorly paid.
- Devil=main character
quick recapitulation main events of the medieval times
-Clovis, Charlemagne, Vikings, Richard Lionheart, ect...
-hundred year wars
-Joan of Arc
Plays and stages
- theater wasn't paid well
- tiring to stand up
- theater was for everyone
-pageant cart theater was standing.
-At the end of a play, the actors would ask for money but not everybody would pay.
People during the plays
At the end
1) What were the type of stages?
a) mansion stages
b) passion stages
d) morality stages
2) How many types of plays were there?
3) What were there names?
a) morality, passion, church, animal, comedy and mask plays
b) morality, comedy, mystery, passion, miracle and guy plays
c) mystery, guild cycles, miracle, passion, masque and history plays
d) mystery, miracle, guild cycles, morality, masque and passion plays
THANKS FOR WATCHING!!!!
4) Who would act(actors) in plays?
Who would often be the main character?
5) Were people standing or sitting during the plays?
a particular play
glorifying the nobility
6) Did people pay to watch a play?
-Everyman: morality play
-Second Sheperds play: mystery play