Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Latin Pop Music
Transcript of Latin Pop Music
Pop Latine in French] generally refers to pop music that has what
may be perceived a Latin influence. (LastFm 2013)
This presentation will explore Latin pop music and its connections to
the social and historical context when Latino pop rose up
in the 70's to 90's. LATINE POPULARIS
MUSICA [Where did it come from?] UBI EAM A? [Key Artists] RICKY MARTIN [Biggest Hits 1990's] MAXIMA HITS ET STILO SONUS. SOCIALI ET HISTORICO CONTEXTU GLORIA ESTEFAN SHAKIRA JENNIFER LOPEZ LATINE POP CREPITUS OPTIMUM ALBUMS REFERENCES [Latin Pop Music] [Style and sound] [social and historical context] KEY EQUITUM SOLIS [1999 Latin Pop Explosion] [Best Albums] 'Livin La Vida Loca' 'Rhythm is going to get you' 'Lets get loud' Latin pop music consists of three common styles: African culture, Native American culture and European culture (Unknown 2011). Originally stemming from the Puerto Rican danza (salsa dance music), this genre of music can include styles from various Latin American and Caribbean cultures. To the non-spanish speaking listener, the varieties of latin music can be indistinguishable. Just as Latinos in the United States vary in character because of their country of origin, Latin music also varies from country to country (Morales 2003) "The fundamental connection between between the pleasures of the sound and their social realization in the libidial movement of bodies, styles and sensual forms. It represents a social encounter, which can be dance hall, a club or a party where bodies are permitted to respond to physical rhythm that elsewhere would not be tollerated" - Iaian Chambers (Aparicio 1998, P95) Born: September 1st 1957
Birthplace: Havana (Cuba) Born: December 24th 1971
Birthplace: San Juan (Puerto Rico) Born: February 22nd 1977
Birthplace: Barranquilla (Columbia) Born: July 24th 1969
Birthplace: The Bronx (New York) 'Magia' In the United States, the latino community were predominantly a working class sector. This meant they were not able to always enjoy the luxury of entertainment activities during the week therefore most salsa and latin music gigs were limited to the weekends. (Aparicio 1998). Many latina/o's ascribe a social, cultural and political value to dancing to latin popular music. During the 19th century, it was a time of exile for many latin american liberal writers, extending the desire for the idealized woman. Latin pop music also expresses some racially different voices. An example of racial context can be seen in the song 'Mama Ines' during the translated verse: "Aqui estamos to' los negros [We are all the blacks]
Que venimos a rogar [who come to ask]
Que nos concedan permiso [that you permit us]
Para cantar y bailar [to sing and dance]"
(Aparicio 1998) Latin pop music has supported many different bands and artists during its existence. Although majority of these groups do not break internationally, there are still artists such as Gloria Esterfan, Ricky Martin, Jennifer Lopez and Shakira who have topped the charts and have encountered an audience worldwide. 1. Matador - Los Fabulosos Cadillacs
2. De música ligera - Soda Stereo
3. Estoy aqui - Shakira
4. La ingrata - Café Tacuba
5. Vivir sin aire - Maná
6. Corazón partío - Alejandro Sanz
7. Bachata rosa - Juan Luis Guerra
8. Lamento boliviano - Los Enanitos Verdes
9. Entre dos tierras - Héroes del Silencio
10. No sé tú - Luis Miguel 11. Bolero falaz - Aterciopelados
12. Sin documentos - Los Rodríguez
13. La vida es un carnaval - Celia Cruz
14. Gimme tha power - Molotov
15. El amor después del amor - Fito Páez
16. Mi tierra - Gloria Estefan
17. Pachuco - Maldita Vecindad y los Hijos del Quinto Patio
18. Rayando el sol - Maná
19. Flaca - Andrés Calamaro
20. Ciega, sordomuda - Shakira 21. Livin' la vida loca - Ricky Martin
22. Señor Matanza - Mano Negra
23. Tren al sur - Los Prisioneros
24. Clandestino - Manu Chao
25. La Célula Que Explota - Caifanes
26. Amor prohibido - Selena
27. Las flores - Café Tacuba
28. Mujeres - Ricardo Arjona
29. Déjate caer - Los Tres
30. Mal bicho - Los Fabulosos Cadillacs (DigitalDreamDoor.com 2009) 1. Willie Colón & Rubén Blades - Siembra (1978)
2. Santana - Abraxas (1970)
3. Buena Vista Social Club - Buena Vista Social Club (1998)
4. Café Tacuba - Re (1994)
5. Astor Piazzolla - Libertango (1974)
6. Fania All Stars - Live at The Cheetah (1971)
7. Joan Manuel Serrat - Mediterraneo (1971)
8. Ray Barretto - Acid (1967)
9. Soda Stereo - Canción Animal (1990)
10. Silvio Rodriguez - Días y flores (1975)
11. Mercedes Sosa - Mercedes Sosa en Argentina (1982)
12. Héctor Lavoe - La Voz (1975)
13. Manu Chao - Clandestino (1998)
14. Charly García - Clics Modernos (1983)
15. Rubén Blades - Buscando América (1984)
16. Eddie Palmieri - The Sun of the Latin Music (1974)
17. Violeta Parra - Las Últimas Composiciones de Violeta Parra (1966)
18. Los Jaivas - Alturas De Machu Picchu (1981)
19. Mano Negra - Casa Babylon (1994)
20. Caifanes - El Silencio (1992) (DigitalDreamDoor.com 2009) Latin Pop music is popular music that stems from the Puerto Rican Danza and salsa, as dancing is a big part of Latin culture. It is music with Latin influences and is performed by Latin artists. Like the majority of pop music, Latin pop is heavily produced and marketed worldwide. Its biggest audience are Latin americans but the genre of music is listened to worldwide after the Latin explosion of 1999 turned several Latin artists into worldwide sensations. (Latin music USA 2013) Gloria Estefan is classified as one of Billboard Magazines top 100 best selling musical artists as well as the most successful crossover performer to date. (Gloria Estefan 2013) Estefan fronted the band 'Miami time machine' where songs such as 'conga' and 'rhythm is gonna get you' topped the charts in the 1980's and 1990's (Estefan bibliography 2013).
As a performer, Estefan has sold an estimated 100 million records world wide as well as winning: 7 grammy awards, BMI songwriter of the year, MTV video music award, AMA of merit along with various other prestigious awards. (Gloria Estefan 2013) Ricky Martin, former member of Menudo as a teenager, released his debut self-titled album in 1991 which he co-wrote with former band member of Menudo Robi Rosa. (MTV 2013) Martin is classified as the leading Latin music figure of his generation selling over 70 million albums sold, 95 platinum records, 6 #1 Billboard albums, 11 #1 hit songs, 2 American Music Awards, 6 Grammy Awards, 8 World Music Awards, 10 Billboard Awards, 8 MTV Music Video Awards, with sold out concerts in more than 60 countries across the globe, and has had more than 3 decades in the music industry. (Ricky Martin Music 2011) Shakira, known for her strong vocals and hip-shaking belly dance moves, started her music career at only 13 years of age. After writing her first song at the age of 8, the female artist signed her first contract at 13 with Sony Columbia Edition (MTV 2013). Although her first two albums didn't break internationally, in 1996 her third album 'pies descalos' sold over 3 million copies worldwide, making her one of the best selling latin pop artists in the world (Shakira Biography 2013). In 1999 the 'Latin Pop Explosion' occured. During this time many artists worked with Latin pop star Gloria Estefan inlucluding: Ricky Martin, Jennifer Lopez and Shakira. All of these artists had cross-over hits, successful songs in English and Spanish and often recorded in both languages (Latin Music USA 2013)
This year also saw a large amount of Top 40 hits by Latino artists (Guide to Hispatic Heritage 2013) Aparicio, F. R., 1998. Listening To Salsa: Gender, Latin Popuar Music and Puerto Rican Cultures. 1st ed. Hanover: Wesleyan/University Press of New England.
DigitalDreamDoor.com. 2009. 100 Greatest Latin Pop Songs of the 1990s. [ONLINE] Available at: http://www.digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_songs-latin-pop-90s.html.
DigitalDreamDoor.com. 2009. 100 Greatest Latin Contemporary Albums. [ONLINE] Available at: http://www.digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_albums-Latin.html
Guide to Hispanic Heritage. 2013. Guide to Hispanic Heritage. [ONLINE] Available at: https://www.britannica.com/hispanic_heritage/article-9342342.
REFERENCES Gloria Estefan - home. 2013. Gloria Estefan - home. ONLINE Available at: http://www.gloriaestefan.com/home.html.
Gloria Estefan Biography - Facts, Birthday, Life Story - Biography.com . 2013. Gloria Estefan Biography - Facts, Birthday, Life Story - Biography.com . ONLINE Available at: http://www.biography.com/people/gloria-estefan-9542436?page=2.
Jennifer Lopez Biography - Facts, Birthday, Life Story - Biography.com . 2013. Jennifer Lopez Biography - Facts, Birthday, Life Story - Biography.com . [ONLINE] Available at: http://www.biography.com/people/jennifer-lopez-9542231?page=3.
REFERENCES Jennifer Lopez - Biography, News, Footage, Photos, Videos, Movie Reviews, Reviews, Press Releases, Tour Dates and Tickets, Comments | Contactmusic.com. 2013. Jennifer Lopez - Biography, News, Footage, Photos, Videos, Movie Reviews, Reviews, Press Releases, Tour Dates and Tickets, Comments | Contactmusic.com. [ONLINE] Available at: http://www.contactmusic.com/info/jennifer_lopez.
Latin Music USA | PBS. 2013. Latin Music USA | PBS. [ONLINE] Available at: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/latinmusicusa/index.html#/en/exp/latinpop/read.
Morales, E, 2003. The Latin Beat: The rhythms and roots of latin music from the bossa nova to salsa and beyond. 1st ed. United States: Da Capo Press.
Ricky Martin Bio | Ricky Martin Career | MTV . 2013. Ricky Martin Bio | Ricky Martin Career | MTV . [ONLINE] Available at: http://www.mtv.com/artists/ricky-martin-00/biography.
rickymartinmusic.com . 2011. Ricky Martin. [ONLINE] Available at: http://rickymartinmusic.com/Blog/Post/358f376e-ec55-40a3-ba57-69453b244773
Shakira Biography - Facts, Birthday, Life Story - Biography.com . 2013. Shakira Biography - Facts, Birthday, Life Story - Biography.com . [ONLINE] Available at: http://www.biography.com/people/shakira-189151.
Shakira Bio | Shakira Career | MTV . 2013. Shakira Bio | Shakira Career | MTV . [ONLINE] Available at: http://www.mtv.com/artists/shakira/biography.
Unknown 2011, Introduction to Latin Music : Cultural History, Percussion Intruments and Latin Jazz, Powerpoint Presentation.
Youtube. (2008). Gloria Estefan - Rhythm is Gonna Get You . [Online Video]. October 15 2008. Available from:
Youtube. (1999). Ricky Martin - Livin' La Vida Loca . [Online Video]. 1999. Available from: .
Youtube. (2008). Shakira - Magia . [Online Video]. 1991. Available from:
Youtube. (2009). Jennifer Lopez - Let's Get Loud . [Online Video]. 2000. Available from: Before her music career, Jennifer Lopez had pursued a show-business career staring in high profile films such as : The wedding planner, maid in Manhattan and Monster-in-law. Lopez's music career took off in June 1999 with her album 'On The 6' that went platinum in just 2 weeks after being released (Jennifer Lopez Biography 2013). This album featured hit singles such as "If you had my love" and "waiting for tonight" (Contact Music 2013)