Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Student Financial Aid
Transcript of Student Financial Aid
October 11, 2017
Economics of Higher Education
Dynarski & Scott-Clayton (2013)
Cornwell, Mustard, & Sridhar (2006)
Archibald & Feldman (2011)
• American Opportunity tax credit
• Deductible interests of student loans
• Coverdell Educational Savings Account
• State 529 college savings
What is your reaction to Dynarski's proposal?
Summary of Findings
1: Enrollment in GA colleges was higher after HOPE relative to SREB and Boarder State (control states)
2: Enrollment in GA publics & privates was higher after HOPE relative to control states…2 year school did not see a significant change in enrollment.
3: HOPE appears to reduce the number of students who left GA for college relative to control states.
4: HOPE significantly increased HBCU enrollment in GA relative to control states.
5: Impact of HOPE appears to be much greater for blacks than whites….particularly due to enrollment in HBCUs and 2-year colleges.
Summary of Findings
- Look up info on current status of HOPE and other merit-aid state programs (with your group). What are the current debates around merit aid?
- Given the benefits and drawbacks of HOPE-like programs, would you support the creation of a HOPE-type program in Kentucky (Something more substantial than the KEES)? Why or why not? What would your merit aid program look like? At the state level, what do you think is the best way to increase access to higher education?
What are the primary strengths and weaknesses you see with the Archibald & Feldman proposal?
What unanswered questions would you have about the proposal?
If you were a US Senator, would you vote to approve a policy change like this? Why or why not?
-Details on upcoming exam (November 1)