Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Meiosis
Two Kinds of Reproduction
One Makes Two:
, only one parent cell is needed for reproduction. This is how unicellular organisms reproduce and how most of our cells reproduce.
Meiosis in Eight Easy Steps
Review of Mitosis
Meiosis and Mendel
Two Make One
two parent cells join together to form a new individual.
- parent cells that are different from ordinary body cells. They have 23 chromosomes.
- male sex cells
- also known as ova are female sex cells
Less is More
Each parent cell contributes half of a homologous chromosome. A fertilized egg then has a complete 46 chromosomes. Each body cell must have a complete set of chromosomes to grow and function properly.
Male or Female
sex chromosomes - carry genes that determine whether the offspring is male or female.
Meiosis to the Rescue
Meiosis - the copying process that produces sex cells. It produces cells with half the number of chromosomes.