Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Writing a Good Topic Sentence
Transcript of Writing a Good Topic Sentence
How to Write a Good Topic Sentence
Writing a Better Topic Sentence
Now take what you know about writing with IMAGERY and add some descriptive words to your sentence.
TOPIC SENTENCE AS IS:
My room is the most calming place for me to be.
BETTER TOPIC SENTENCE:
The beautiful blue room on the second story of this small brown house is the most peaceful and calming place for me to relax.
How do I turn the subject + the controlling idea into a topic sentence?
characteristics of beagles
Add these two together to write a
for this paragraph:
Three main characteristics make beagles different from other dogs.
The subject of your paragraph is EXACTLY what that sounds like: what your paragraph is about.
What is the subject of your room paragraph?
The Building Blocks of a Good Topic Sentence
This sounds A LOT more complicated than it is.
More Examples of Subjects and Controlling Ideas
Writing a better Topic Sentence
You want your topic sentence to introduce the MAIN IDEA of your paragraph.
To do that, follow this equation:
The controlling idea of your paragraph will
what your room looks like!
Subjects + Controlling ideas
Zoom in to see how the subjects are LIMITED by the controlling idea
Subject of paragraph: Ancient Egyptians
Controlling idea of paragraph: Death rituals
Add these two together to write a topic sentence for this paragraph:
Ancient Egyptians followed seven steps to mummify their kings.
Your subject: your room
Your controlling idea: DECIDE NOW
It could be....
1. What it looks like
2. Why it is your favorite room in the house
3. How it reflects YOU and your personality
4. Why you hate it
5. Why it makes you feel a certain way when you are there...