Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of iPS
http://stemcells.nih.gov/info/Regenerative_Medicine/pages/2006chapter10.aspx Why iPS? What are iPS stem cells? Breakthroughs Potential - Adult cells that are turned into pluripotent cells via transcription Factors
- Transcription factors = genes
- Adult cells commonly harvested from the skin, liver and stomach Major Contributors Obstacles -Avoid ethical dilemma
-Uses an individual's own cells
-"Provide a steady and high quality source of human cells" - Dr. James Thomson Past Researchers - Sir John B. Gurdon
- - Neurological disease cures
-skin cells to iPS cells to neurons
-allow scientists to study the progression of disease
- Personalized Treatment
-possible clinical use
Subtypes for Diabetics
- insulin secreting pancreatic cells are destroyed
-other pancreatic cells turned into insulin secreting cells vector introduction of iPS cells
constant expression of the 4 genes
propose both solutions and further complications Sickle Cell Anemia
-in mouse, iPS cells corrected the sickle cell gene
-motor neurons for patient with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (Lou Gehrigs disease) Current Researchers Yamanaka - without viral vectors
Harvard Stem Cell Institute
-George Daley, Derrick Rossi, Konrad Hochedlinger - successful papers