Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of Imperialist Presidents
- Diplomacy Sheet
- I can compare the presidents of the late 1800s & early 1900s
Table of Contents
Page: Imperialist Presidents
Create a new GoogleDoc and answer the following question:
Does a country have to be imperialistic to be a world power? Why?
- Starting with the Spanish-American War, US begins its "Age of Imperialism"
- 4 presidents with different styles of diplomacy
- McKinley: American Empire
- Roosevelt: Big Stick Diplomacy
- Taft: Dollar Diplomacy
- Wilson: Moral Diplomacy
- Create a 5x5 chart on the bottom half of your page
- Type, President, Explanation, Pros, Cons
Expand out to gain
land and power
1. Read the half sheet
2. Fill out the boxes
a. You may have to infer the pros & cons
3. Be prepared to share out
Big Stick, Dollar, or Moral?
The U.S. practicing military drills near North Korea.
The U.S. gives $38 billion in aid to Israel every year.
The U.S. refuses to trade with Iran because of their theocracy and "extreme beliefs".
The U.S. gave Mexico $420 million in economic and military aid in 2013.
The U.S. and Britain have the "special relationship".
The U.S. spends about $600 billion on the military each year.
The U.N. is creating economic sanctions against Russia for their airstrikes in Syria.
Russia is putting their population on high alert for a nuclear strike.
In your notebook, give an example of Big Stick, Dollar, or Moral diplomacy.
Make it challenging so the person next to you will have to guess.
The U.S. has military bases around the world which are often used for humanitarian missions
What type of diplomacy was used for the War in Iraq? Why?
- Set up a chart in your notebook
William McKinley (R)
- Protected US business through tariffs
Ex: Dingley Act
- Won Spanish-American War
- Gained Hawaii, Cuba, Philippines, Puerto Rico, Guam
- Forced China to trade (Open Door Policy)
- Annexed lots of territory
1. Group of 3
2. Choose a president
a. Teddy Roosevelt, William Taft, Woodrow Wilson
3. Go to the station with the key questions about them
4. Answer the questions
a. Bottom half of your sheet
President Research Share Out
- In your group, share what you found
- Summarize your findings in your chart
- Explain it to your group
- DON'T JUST COPY
Ranking the Presidents
- Rank the presidents 1-4 (1 being the most, 4 being the least)
- 3 Categories
1. Best Domestic President
2. Best Foreign Policy President
3. Most Imperialistic
Answer the following prompt on the GoogleDoc you did the opener on:
Who was our best president in this time? Why?