Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Language and Communication- SLANGS
Transcript of Language and Communication- SLANGS
it does not have social boundaries or limitations. The only rule in while creating a slang is to innovate!! They exist in all cultures, classes of society and as well in all LANGUAGES. In order for an expression to become slang it must be accepted and adopted by all the members of a group. Slang words are a way to change and give a new look to languages. The slangs originated between the 16th or 17th century. It started
with the English Criminal Cant, which was originated in the 16th century. It was a kind of speech used by criminal in gambling houses. By the end of the 16th century it was considered as a language. HISTORY! It was used by criminals so that the law could not understand what they were talking about. It was not until the early 1920’s that slang had gained interest among people. It was during the post-World War I era that society got new attitudes and beliefs about slang. There was now a demand for entertainment, mass media, and slangy fiction. 1946 Before 1946
The Great Depression. Dating: Courting.
Kissing: Necking. 1964 1946-1964:
Rock n Roll Dating: Pinning
Kissing: Sucking Face. 1964-1980:
Civil Rights Movement. 1980 Dating: Going Steady
Kissing: Making Out. Present. Technology Dating: FB Post
Kissing: Hooking Up. Words Through History. STATEMENT OF PURPOSE I chose this topic because I have looked how in our environment our vocabulary has been changing. According to our age new words come to us and we are being classified according the words we use. We have a different vocabulary according the person we are talking to. Some people sees it like a taboo, others like innovation and some others like an irrespect to our language. It is amazing to see how there are internet pages completely created for showing slangs that are from different parts of the world. Communication is the function that our body does at every moment. There are lots of types of communication. Slang is a very special type which may have different oppinions from the people. Is the way how we communicate with others that makes us special. There are different positions you can take with a slang:
1) Unfortunately to learn Spanish and its grammar is not enough because in real life we use many expressions or idioms that if people do not know them, they would not know what you are referring to or expressing.
2) Variability is an essential and natural factor for communication and life. With it there are more possible ways to express our feelings and thoughts. QUESTIONS! 1. Having so much grammatical and ortografical features in the Spanish language why do we have to resort to the use of words or idioms to name or describe a particular word, action or circumstance?
2.Knowing that these idioms are not good for our language, why we allow the use of these?
3. What is the importance of slang words in the daily communication? HYPOTHESIS! 1.The low education of a high level or percentage of the Colombian population creates an environment for the bad use of the language. Primarily by the lack of knowledge of vocabulary and literary sources.
2.Basically, fashion and the easy way out is what makes people embrace this kind of vocabulary in their speech. Unfortunately, for a person who does not know these idioms is almost impossible to have an effective conversation by the continuous use of expressions.
3. The importance of this idioms are the lots of ways it brings to us at the moment of expressing what ever you want to say. With them, people can feel an identity to a certain group or subculture and at the same time innovate and renew the language. AMERICAN SLANG WORDS •"Chimba" in Medellin is something very good. "Chimba" elsewhere means a sexual organ.
•Gonorrhea is the name of a disease is associated with the insult to a person.
•"Coger" means taking an object, in other areas is associated with having sex.
Also is very common the use of certain words that have no academic significance. Some of these are: "Parce" (Companion), "Pirobo" ("Faltón" bad person), "Sapo" (Snitch). COLOMBIAN WORDS. Slang Words and their meanings may change according to the place, groups and subculture in which they are used. CONCLUSIONS: Are slang words good or bad? There isn't a certain answer for this question. It is depending on your age, culture and mind the opinion that you have on them, There is an unique opinion from all the people for this kind of communication.
Slang words may bring natural variability to our communication but at the same time insults or a non adecuate conversation between people.
The excess of slang words in your expression is not good. Depending with the person you are talking to you should use it or not. "Slang is the poetry of everyday life and it vividly expresses people's feelings about life, and about the things they encounter" (Hayakawa, 1941)
"The use of slang is at once a sign and a cause of mental atrophy" (Partridge, 1935) BIBLIOGRAPHY: Lodge, A. 1997. The Pragmatics of Slang. University of St Andrews. ONLINE: http://wjmll.ncl.ac.uk/issue02/lodge.htm#3
Gibbs, R. The Poetics of Mind: Figurative Thought, Language, and Understanding. Cambridge, England: Cambridge University Press, 1994.
www.urbandictionary.com IT IS UP HOW TO YOU USE THE SLANG WORDS!!