Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
David Sedaris "Go Carolina"
Transcript of David Sedaris "Go Carolina"
Essay- a short piece of writing on a particular subject.
excerpt from Me Talk Pretty One Day Genre Tone-sarcastic
Analogy-"The agent came for me during a geography lesson. She entered the room and nodded at my fifth-grade teacher, who stood frowning at a map of Europe. My capture had been scheduled to go down at exactly 2:30 on a Thursday afternoon" (Sedaris par. 1).
Sarcasm-"Whereas my goal was to keep it a secret, hers was to inform the entire class"(Sedaris par.31)
Hyperbole-"On the days I was absent, I imagined she addressed the room, saying, 'David's not here today but if he were, he'd have a speech therapy session at two-thirty'"(Sedaris par.31).
Internal conflict- "[Agent Samson] was probably thinking along the lines of SPEECH THERAPY LAB, though a more appropriate marker would have read FUTURE HOMOSEXUALS OF AMERICA" (Sedaris par. 40).
Conflict-"It was the first battle of my war against the letter s, and I was determined to dig my foxhole before the sun went down. According to Agent Samson, a state certified speech therapist, I lisped"(Sedaris par.28). Literary Analysis David Sedaris Work Cited Biography Synopsis of "Go Carolina" It begins with an analogy of a crime scene; David is the suspect and an agent, Ms.Samson, is going after him.
In reality, Ms.Samson is his speech therapist since David has a lisp problem.
He is embarrassed with this and doesn't discuss it with anyone. In order to avoid people from noticing his problem, he avoids using vocabulary that contains the "s" sounds.
During his therapy sessions, David starts realizing things about himself like that he likes "girly things" and that his voice is high pitched.
It is not said, but implied that David is gay. He also realizes he doesn't fit in with other kids.
Although David found a way to avoid his lisp problem, Ms.Samson still isn't satisfied.
On the last day of his session, Ms.Samson tries to trick David into saying the "s" sound; she succeeds. She then signs him up for speech therapy for the next year. - Picture: "An Evening with David Sedaris | Parnassus Books." An Evening with David Sedaris | Parnassus Books. N.p., n.d. Web. 02 June 2013.
- Beers, G. Kylene, Brinnin John Malcolm, Hernacki Thomas, Lee Odell, Leggett John, Toth Susan Allen. Holt Literature & Language Arts. Austin, TX: Holt, Rinehart and Winston, 2003. Print.
- Picture: "BY THE BOOK; David Sedaris." The New York Times. The New York Times, 15 Apr. 2012. Web. 02 June 2013.
- "Contemporary American Literature." : Characteristics of the. N.p., n.d. Web. 02 June 2013.
- Picture: "Contemporary Literature." Home. N.p., n.d. Web. 02 June 2013.
-"David Sedaris." 2013. The Biography Channel website. Jun 02 2013, 06:47 http://www.biography.com/people/david-sedaris-39460. What is the theme? One shouldn't feel disgraced for who they really are on the inside
Be who you are and don't be afraid to say whatever you feel Connection to American Contemporary Literature - In David Sedaris's excerpt, "Go Carolina" it is connected to American Contemporary Literature because like others, it has "authors usually write about the world around them" (Contemporary American Literature).
- He makes his essay more personal.
- relates his own problems to people of this current era. what is significant about "Go Carolina"? -Was born on December 26, 1956 in Johnson City, New York.
-Author, comedian and American humorist
-"The rock star of writers"
-Me Talk Pretty One Day, Naked, and Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls humorous
serious one learns to accept themselves it brings a light-hearted, humorous way to understand homosexuality - non-traditional form (Leggett, 803).
- intensely self-conscious (Leggett, 803).
-"they comment on themselves, criticize themselves, take themselves apart, and encourage us to put them together again" (Leggett, 802). Video Maria Franco, Hilda Montiel-Moreno, Nancy Ruvalcaba
English III/Period 6 -" David Sedaris." 2012. FamousAuthors.org 2 June, http://www.famousauthors.org/david-sedaris
-Sedaris, David. Me Talk Pretty One Day. Boston: Little, Brown &, 2000. Print.
-"David Sedaris on The Daily Show with Jon Stewart (2013) (Full Interview HD)." YouTube. YouTube, 09 May 2013. Web. 03 June 2013.
- Picture: "Me Talk Pretty One Day." Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation, 30 Apr. 2013. Web. 02 June 2013.
- Picture: "More Words On S." MOMZ TUTELAGE. N.p., n.d. Web. 02 June 2013.
- Picture: "Stock Photo - Crime Scene." 123RF Stock Photos. N.p., n.d. Web. 02 June 2013.
-picture: "smiley face" http://redee57jyv.blogspot.com/2011/05/laughing-face-clip-art.html
-"MACKLEMORE & RYAN LEWIS - SAME LOVE Feat. MARY LAMBERT (OFFICIAL VIDEO)." YouTube. YouTube, 02 Oct. 2012. Web. 04 June 2013. <