Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Review: The Legal Research Process
Transcript of Review: The Legal Research Process
: provide overview and analysis of different areas of law
For a general overview - legal encyclopedias, nutshells
More detailed - legal treatises, hornbooks
Most detailed -
American Law Report
s, law review articles
Good place to
annotations/footnotes in a secondary source
Browsing statutory tools -
Table of Contents, Index, Popular Name Table
- general keyword search and filter; use the Federal or State Materials tabs; or select Statutes & Court Rules under All Content
- general keyword search and filter; Browse Sources and limit by jurisdiction and content type - Statutes & Legislation
- general keyword search and filter in GO bar; Search & Browse tab - legislative; or Legislative & Regulatory - search legislative
, such as government websites
annotations in a secondary source
, or an
- KeyCite (citing references), BCite, Shepard's
- keyword search and filter; All Content - Cases; or Federal or State Materials tabs
- keyword search and filter; Browse Sources and narrow by jurisdiction and Content Type - Cases
- keyword search and filter; Search & Browse tab - Court Opinions; or Litigation & Dockets tab - Search Court Opinions
, such as Google Scholar
when to stop!
Make sure any law you're relying on (statute or case) is
, check for
positive or negative treatment
Stopping point is not clear-cut, look for triggers, such as the same cases cropping up over and over again.
LRW Research Guides -
Starting your research
What are the pertinent facts?
Walsh is a member, and former leader, of BBFP
BBFP protesting the building of a Lowe's in town
The Niles Daily Times
wrote an article accusing BBFP and Walsh of aggressive/deceptive/criminal methods of influencing zoning board's decision
What are the issues of law?
Public v. private figure
Limited purpose public figure
What is your jurisdiction?
What resources will best answer your research questions?