Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Westward Expansion
During the colonial days American settlers moved west, even though the British tried to stop them
After the Revolutionary War, 1000's moved across mountains in search of land and new opportunities
2. Daniel Boone
During John Adams' presidency, Boone:
Left NC and led pioneers across the Appalachians to Kentucky
Later others followed his lead
4. How did pioneers in the west ship their goods to sell?
On flatboats on the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers
Goods to be shipped overseas were loaded onto ships in the port city of New Orleans
6. How did the US acquire New Orleans and all French lands west of the Mississippi?
Jefferson (now president) learned of a secret treaty between France and Spain
He devised a plan for 2 officials to buy New Orleans and land nearby it
Napoleon (French leader) ended up selling all the French land west of Mississippi
7. Louisiana Purchase
Land acquired by the US from the French
This land included New Orleans and the land from the Mississippi River to the Rocky Mountains and doubled the size of the US
Annexation Definition: To incorporate (territory) into an existing political unit such as a country, state, county, or city.
8. Lewis and Clark
Led a party of 33 explorers through the northern part of the Louisiana Purchase
Kept Journals and made maps
Helped Americans learn more about life in the West
12. Causes of the War of 1812:
US vs. Britain
James Madison is president
1. Britain and Am disagreed where the Canadian-US border was located
2. Settlers in the West felt like the British forts were interfering with their lives
3. Impressment of Americans and taking their ships
4. British armed the Native Americans in the West
13. Results of the War of 1812
1. The British recognized US boundaries and stayed out of the NW Territory
2. The US gained national pride from its victories at sea and New Orleans
3. American industry prospered because it made more goods at home when trade stopped with Britain
4. The Federalist Party disappeared. The Federalists had opposed the war.
The War of 1812
3. Define Pioneers:
Open up and explore a new area
One of the first colonists or settlers in a new territory
5. What was the problem with this method?
New Orleans belonged to Spain
Spanish officials made it difficult for Americans to unload and store goods
Sacajawea, a NA woman, traveled with Lewis and Clark as a guide and interpreter. She was later used as a symbol of women's importance.
9. Zebulon Pike
Explored the southern part of the Louisiana Purchase
Helped Americans learn more about life in the west
10. Define Territory
An organized part of a country that is not yet a state
11. Define Impressment:
Seizing people against their will and forcing
them into military service
14. Ending the War of 1812
Treaty of Ghent ended the war
It was signed on Christmas Eve
It took 2 weeks for news of the treaty to reach the US
The Battle of New Orleans was fought after the war was over because of how long it took for the news to reach the US
Andrew Jackson, a NC native, won the Battle of New Orleans
Neither the US nor Britain won the war
The War of 1812 showed the world that the US' young republic could succeed