Loading presentation...

Present Remotely

Send the link below via email or IM

Copy

Present to your audience

Start remote presentation

  • Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
  • People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
  • This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
  • A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
  • Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article

Do you really want to delete this prezi?

Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.

DeleteCancel

Make your likes visible on Facebook?

Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.

No, thanks

Hydration and its effects on sports performance

No description
by

Cheri Williams

on 29 April 2015

Comments (0)

Please log in to add your comment.

Report abuse

Transcript of Hydration and its effects on sports performance

Starter
Know the relationship between hydration and sports performance
Describe hydration and its effects on sports performance (P5)

Why do you think water is so important when we are exercising?

What do you think affects the amount of fluid you lose during exercise?
Fluid Intake
To maintain water balance, a sedentary individual requires 2-2.5 litres of fluid per day.

10% of your daily fluid requirements come from metabolic processes releasing water within the body. The other 90% is derived from your diet.

60% of this comes directly from fluids and the rest comes from food.

it is advised that an athlete contiually takes on enough fluid to cover the 'cost' of their training or competition.
Inter-event
The more intense the activity the more absorption of fluid is slowed.

Drinking 150-200ml every 15-20 minutes during exercise is recommended, especially if the exercise lasts longer than an hour.

What may stop you consuming?
Pre-event
Athletes should be encouraged to begin fully hydrated and to drink plenty of water both during and after activity.

Drinking 300-500ml of fluid 15-20 minutes before exercise is recommended.
Post-event
Weight and urine-colour checks are a useful and simple way of monitoring fluid status during and after training and competition.

Weight reduction of 1kg = 1 litre of fluid loss. Urine-colour checks before and after exercise are useful for determining fluid requirements post-training or during competition.

As a guide, after exercise fluid losses should be replaced at around 1.5l within the first 2 hours of recovery.
SPORTS DRINKS
Reference - Adams, M. (2010) Edexcel, BTEC Level 3, Sport Level 3 Book 1, BTEC National
Effects on sports performance
The greater the frequency, intensity and duration of exercise, the more important fluid replacement strategies become and the more likely that sports drinks will have a useful contribution to make in terms of effects on performance and recovery, by providing not only fluid but also energy.
The Four states of Hydration
Hyper-hydration
Drinking extra water before exercise.
Dehydration
the condition which occurs when fluid loss exceeds fluid intake.
Hypo-hydration
extreme de-hydrated up to 20% from a normal resting state.
Super-hydration
regularly and only drink water alongside a controlled diet to aid fat loss
SIGNS AND SYPMTOMS OF DEHYDRATION
Name some signs and symptoms of dehydration....
Get your phones out......
&
Go to
www.kahoot.it


Last part!!
Lets test your knowledge
Isotonic 
Most common sport drinks available contain similar concentrations of salt and sugar (Carbs) as in the human body (6-10g/ 100ml) Good source of fuel and hydration use
before(Pre-event) during(Inter-event)
and
after
performance.
Hypotonic
 sport drinks contain a lower concentration of salt and sugar than the human body. A poor source of energy, used to hydrate
after
performance
Hypertonic
 drinks contain a higher concentration of salt and sugar than the human body 10+g/100ml can contain up to 60g of sugar per 500ml! Absorbed very slowly and bad for hydration.
Full transcript