Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
American Born Chinese
Transcript of American Born Chinese
Journey into the West
-Monkey King's struggle with being a monkey
and wanting to be human so he could be respected
and taken seriously, instead of getting laughed at.
They became an internet sensation on YouTube after they posted a viral video of themselves lip-syncing.
Group:Rebecca Chao, Luis Couto, Kathy Koo
Emily Law, David Norman, Sally Voong
Back Dorm Boys
* Friendship with Wei-Chen
* Wei-Chen and Monkey King helps Jin accept himself and others.
* Friendship holds strong despite differences between one another
* Reconciling friendships
* You do not need to change who you are in order to be
* Monkey King's stubbornness prevented him from
realizing that he is different from everyone else.
Friendship <peng you>
* Jin pretended to be "American" in order to fit in with his peers.
3 seemingly disparate stories that ultimately interlink:Yang explores Chinese identity in the United States and the trials of growing up as a minority.
Chinese legend the Monkey King
2nd gen Chinese-American
middle school student Jin Wang
Danny's cousin Chin-Kee
usage of folktale, tradition, culture, stereotypes, subliminal messages and social media references creatively in a light-humored manner
William Hung reference
-:Racism: fitting in,
being in a new place
-loss of identity
-dealing with crushes and new friendship
*The illustrations are comic book like, while the illustrator uses various vibrant colors to enhance the moods of the story.
*The images also hold a "fun" flow to them as soft edges make up most of the illustrations.
*Gene Luen Yang uses very racist illustrations to depict the character
"Chin-Kee" (who's name is also a racial slur) whom is drawn with the use of Asian stereotypes (buck teeth, yellow skin, squinty eyes, and traditional
*The monkey king is playing the role of Chin-kee, and his son Wei-Chen Sun played Jin wang's friend as a test of virtue. Jin Wang was Danny (Chin-kee's "white American" cousin). The reason why cousin Chin-Kee is depicted this way is because Jin wang is so embarrassed of his ethnicity that it took an overly stereotyped person in his life to finally overcome his insecurities.
- 16th Century Folk Novel
- Builds upon Chinese mythology, Buddhism, and Taosim
- The story of a Buddhist monk, three disciples, and their journey to India.
- Sun Wukong trapped for his hubris.
- Freed by the monk and becomes his bodyguard on the journey.
- When they successfully return to China, he is granted Buddhahood for his service.
Jin's struggle with being "an outsider" (Chinese)
and rejecting Wei-Chen's (new Taiwanese student)
friendship because Wei-Chen was a "FOB" and Jin
would rather be alone than be associated with him.
-transformed himself into Danny, the person
he wishes to be...while at the same time losing
his true, Chinese identity.
Social Media References