Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Adaptations & Evolution
Transcript of Adaptations & Evolution
studied birds on the Galapagos Islands
Noticed that the same bird from different islands looked or behaved differently
Came up with
Theory of Evolution & Natural Selection
characteristics of species over
Survival of the Fittest
Traits become more or less common in nature
based on organism survival
in an organism developed through natural selection that
help organisms survive
Take many generations
feature of an animal
Same species, different beaks to eat different types of food
Things animals do to survive
Migration – Animals travel to find better environments
Hibernation – Animals sleep long times to conserve energy and food
Animals act or sound like other animals
Living in extreme
Cactus expands to hold water
we are cold
- travel to find better environments
- Sleep to conserve energy & food
Adaptations that occur
inside the body
of an organism
respond to a change in environment
Purpose is to maintain
Change in DNA
Cause organisms to adapt and evolve
Can be harmful or helpful
More survival = More parents to pass on traits
Does this image show natural selection? Why or why not?
Insects in trees
Seeds in fruit
Seeds in fruit
Insects in trees
Giraffes had different neck lengths
Long necks survived and passed on genes
Eventually, all giraffes had long necks
Why so many adaptations?
Many animals have a
Millions of years ago, all continents were clumped together (called Pangaea)
When continents split, populations were separated
- Plants or animals with a common ancestor evolve differently when living in different conditions
Bet you didn't know...
Body parts that are similar in different species due to common ancestors
EXAMPLE: Bones in dog legs and bones in lizard legs
* During hibernation, an animal's metabolism (how it digests food) slows down
* Frogs produce slime to conserve water when it is too dry outside
Add the following words to your Vocab assignment...
Remember to define them and draw a picture of them.
5) Which of the following traits will help an organism survive in its environment?
a) Rabbit with white fur in snow
b) Gills on a horse
c) Weapons for humans
6) Mary dyes her hair and gets a frog tattoo. What are these examples of?
Go to your Adaptations notes in your journal
Think: What are some things your body does to protect you without you even thinking about it?
EQ: How did the theory of evolution originate and how do organisms survive in their environments?
*Fits in with the environment
Why would these diverse organisms have similar bone structures in their arms?