Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Feminism
Susan B. Anthony and Elizabeth Cady Stanton
Why is the word such an uncomfortable one?
IMPORTANT COURT CASES
• Reed vs. Reed (1971)
• Pittsburgh Press Co. vs. Pittsburgh Commission on Human Relations (1973)
• United States vs. Virginia (1996)
• International Union, UWA vs. Johnson Controls Inc. (1991)
Wednesday, May 13, 2015
Vol XCIII, No. 311
WOMEN IN THE WORLD
1. The doctrine advocating social, political, and all other rights of women equal to those of men
2. An organized movement for the attainment of such rights for women.
Women continue to earn less even with more education.
2009: female high school graduates earned median wage of $542 versus males at $716
Total employed women without a high school diploma: 2,379
Total employed men without a high school diploma: 4,919
Four-year college graduates' weekly earnings: $891 versus $1,200
Full time working women living with a spouse earn $113 a week more than full time working women either widowed, never married, or divorced.
Married with children under eighteen: $737
Married and childless: $716
Single women with children: $555
Single with children under six: $487
Median Weekly Earnings:
White: $684 against $850
African American: $592 against $633
Asian: $773 against $936
Latino: $508 against $560
: $669 against $824
Overall $155 difference
Women's median hourly wage was $11.83
Men's median hourly wage was $13.76
Women with ages between 16-19 make 97.8% as much as men
Women with college degrees earn 96.9% of what male graduates make
7.3% of women made at or below minimum wage compared with 4.3% of men
Why Feminism is Necessary
"I have realized that fighting for women's rights has too often become synonymous with man-hating" (Watson).
"I think it is right that I should be able to make decisions about my own body. I think it is right that women be involved on my behalf in the policies and decision-making of my country." (Watson).
"No country in the world can yet say they have achieved gender equality." (Watson).
Fathers less important than Mothers
Men with mental illness unimportant
change legal status of women (UXL Biographies)
change the way women were viewed in society
1848, Stanton wrote the Seneca Falls Declaration of Sentiments
1868, Stanton and Anthony created the independent National Women Suffrage Association
1881-1886, both published the
History of Women Suffrage
1. Are there more people with the belief that feminism is about women being stronger than men or gender equality?
2. Guys: Do you not share your feelings because it is emasculate?
3. Girls: Do you always share your feelings because it is feminine?
4. Is it Women vs World or Women vs their body?
5. What about women makes them weaker than men?(in all standpoints)
Important to Both Genders
"Elizabeth Cady Stanton."
Detroit: UXL. 2003.
Student Resources in Context.
Web. 30 Apr. 2015
"Emma Watson: 'I'm a feminist because I've known sexism since I was eight years old'; UN Women Goodwill Ambassador Emma Watson has spoken up about being sexualised by the media and the importance of feminism in her first major speech. Read it in full." Telegraph Online 22 Sept. 2014. Student Resources in Context. Web. 12 May 2015.
"Money, Income, and Poverty."
Women in American Society
. Melissa J. Doak. 2012 ed. Detroit: Gale, 2012. Information Plus Reference Series.
Student Resources in Context
. Web. 1 May 2015.
"Susan B. Anthony."
Detroit: Gale, 2003.
Student Resources in Context.
Web. Apr. 2015
"10 Landmark Court Cases in Women's Rights - Criminal Justice Degrees Guide." Criminal Justice Degrees Guide. N.p., n.d. Web. 14 May 2015.