Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Denotation vs. Connotation
Transcript of Denotation vs. Connotation
grueling/challenging How does connotation affect meaning? unique gift vs. bizarre gift stubborn child vs. persistent child rowdy audience vs. lively audience control a situation vs. manipulate a situation Connotation The literal or dictionary definition of a word. The meanings associated with a word beyond its literal definition. Relaxed Denotation vs. Connotation in Poetry There Is No Frigate Like a Book
By Emily Dickinson There is no frigate like a book
To take us lands away,
Nor any coursers like a page
Of prancing poetry.
This traverse may the poorest take
Without oppress of toll.
How frugal is the chariot
That bears the human soul! What is lost if "miles" were substituted for “lands” (2) ? What is lost if "cheap" is substituted for "frugal" (7)? Why is “prancing” (4) especially appropriate for poetry as well for coursers? Could the poet have compared a book to coursers and poetry to a frigate without affecting meaning?