Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Copy of hunt for humor
Transcript of Copy of hunt for humor
- Caucasian student at UCLA library Keywords! Immigration References Jokes that serve to reinforce social consensus. Humor that serves to confirm the status quo by denigrating a certain group of society. What we expect to happen vs. what actually happens
We expect this Caucasian young woman to be well educated because she goes UCLA. However her rant proves to counter this belief. Alexandra Wallace: a symbol of incongruity American Exceptionalism
Immigration White is a social and historically constructed identity, a cluster of racialized norms and performances, and a set of privileges. White Privilege Entering and settling into a region to which one is not native. Conclusion - Hordes of Asians
- American Manners Examples... Who is the Target? "Asian people that live in all the apartments around me -- their moms and their brothers and their sisters and their grandmas and their grandpas and their cousins and everybody that they know that they've brought along from Asia with them - comes here on the weekends to do their laundry, buy their groceries and cook their food for the week. It's seriously, without fail. You will always see old Asian people running around this apartment complex every weekend. That's what they do. They don't teach their kids to fend for themselves. You know what they don't also teach them, is their manners." - Alexandra Wallace "Ooooh Ching Chong Ling Long Ting Tong, Ooohhhhh." The target of Alexandra's viral YouTube video negatively portrays Asians as an annoyance at UCLA campus and more specifically the library. American Exceptionalism Anjli Kinariwalla, HaiYin Tang, Richard Im & Corie Wu Alexandra Wallace's rant reflects the deeply rooted general American ideology.
Her rant displays the white privilege and fear that further underlies racism. Burgett, Bruce, and Glenn Hendler, eds. Keywords for American Cultural Studies. New York & London: New York UP, 2007. Print.
Critchley, Simon. On Humour. London: Routledge, 2002. Print.
Wallace, Alexandra. Asians in the Library. YouTube. N.p., n.d. Web. 3 Dec. 2012. <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0JKb_Cn1qc>.