Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
HST201 Defining Democracy
Transcript of HST201 Defining Democracy
Missouri: Slave or Free?
Missouri Compromise (1820)
“a fire bell in the
The debates over Missouri were...
Denmark Vesey & the Slave Plot in Charleston (1822)
"Universal Manhood Suffrage"
George Caleb Bingham, "The County Election"
Peggy Eaton Affair (1831)
Nullification Crisis (1832)
John C. Calhoun
The Bank War (1832)
Panic of 1837
Voting by Ticket
Rally for William Henry Harrison, 1840
"keep the ball rolling"
"Tallmadge Amendment" (1819): prohibited the "introduction of slavery or involuntary servitude... except for the punishment of crimes" in Missouri.
House passed it; Senate rejected it.
Campaigning in Print
newspapers, biographies, pamphlets, posters