Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Making authentic links to the POI: Strategies for single-sub
Transcript of Making authentic links to the POI: Strategies for single-sub
1. Connecting to the Transdisciplinary theme
2. Connecting through a central idea
- A truly authentic link to a UOI can be made through the central idea.
- Classroom and single-subject teachers should aim to plan together to team teach the unit.
- All teachers involved in the unit only need to use one PYP planner for all planning.
- When collaborative planning time is not possible, teachers should add to the shared planner.
3. Connecting through a line of inquiry
- Linking with a specific line of inquiry, if the single-subject content can not be authentically linked to the central idea or other lines of inquiry.
* Why not work to add your own line of inquiry?
Central idea: Traditions are an expression of beliefs and values.
Line of inquiry: Traditional games (PE)
4. Connecting through a concept
- In the case where an authentic link to a UOI is not possible, there may be an opportunity to link through a particular concept.
- Change in Music: changing the rhythm to a melody.
- Perspective in Art: analysing art work from different cultures
- Responsibility in PE: the roles when working as part of a team.
Stages of planning for a single subject teacher
1. Look at single subject curriculum in relation to whole-school Programme of Inquiry.
2. Identify units in which you can collaborate and make authentic links with, whether through a concept, central idea or line of inquiry.
3. Contact classroom teacher and intiate collaborative planning (classroom teacher is also encouraged to intiate collaboration with specialist teachers).
4. Single subject- teachers continue to develop stand-alone planners.
1. Central idea
2. Lines of inquiry
4. Related concepts, skills, attitudes and learner profile attributes
Following the planning process of the PYP planner.
*Try to develop units which transcend different year levels.
Year 3 - 6 Swimming Unit
Safe participation in the aquatic environment is dependent on the learning of survival skills and stroke technique.
Lines of Inquiry
● Survival skills.
● Stroke development.
● Understanding of water
safety in various aquatic
It is not always possible to collaborate with classroom teachers in a particular unit of
inquiry if there is no authentic connection
between the single subject area and the unit.
Although not ideal, it is possible to link with a
unit at another time in the school year, if it
does not align with the priorities of the
- Finding key terms or phrases in the description of the transdiscplinary theme, which can link to a particular skill or unit.
* It may not be possible to link to all six of the transdisciplinary themes authentically.
Eg. PE and Who We Are in Place and Time
In connecting with the POI, it is important not to sacrifice the teaching of subject specific skills. Therefore it is not always possible to link with a particular unit.
Continue to use the language of the PYP (learner profile, attitudes, concepts) and where relevent, teach the transdiciplinary skills.
Remember: The POI is the responsibility of all teachers, not just classroom teachers.
PYP PE teacher
Firbank Grammar School