Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Brazil
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."
Lin Mei Ann
Boey Sin Yee
People And Society
National Language: Portuguese
Diversity of languages
- Strong family ties
Life Expectancy At Birth
Infant Mortality Rates: 19.83/1000
Lack of Education
Effects of Poverty
Gangs - involved in illegal activites. Hard for law enforcers to dissolve.
Corruption - Police officers. Get involvde in criminal activities of gangs.
High Death Rates in Slums
Uneducated younger generation
Bolsa Familia Programme
Poor families with children receive average of R$70
Must commit to keeping children in school, health checks.
Gets families to invest in children
Gives future generations education
Brasil Sem Miseria
Additional cash benefits
Familes with children and live on less than R140 per month per person can apply
Money given to people not enough.
Still have millions of people who don't receive federal aid.
Impossible to provide money to poor forever.
- most undeveloped
- extreme inequality of land tenure
- inability to get education
Distribution of Poverty
Requires large areas of land
Release pollutants into air:
- Negative impact on people's health
- Depletion of ozone layer
National Environment Policy
National Water Resource Policy
- Ensures rate of development of industry sustainable by environment
- Environmentally-friendly mechanisms/equipment
- Protects the river basins
- Restore forests
- Promote: biodiversity, jobs, income, to motivate landowners to comply
- Skin colour, appearance
Race & 'Beauty':
Hard bad hair
- Women discriminated, lack of better education/jobs
- Men have lower income compared to white
- Main cause of Poverty in Brazil -
- Money not reaching people
- Kept by corrupted government
- More people continue to fall into poverty
- No action taken to reduce poverty
- Inabity to cultivate crops
- Income relies largely on agriculture
- inequality of land tenure
- lack of education and resources for farming
3. Gangs -> Corruption
4. Lack of education
- Blacks are disadvantaged
- Economic participation: only 20% of GDP
- Higher unemployment
- lower pays
- 78% live below poverty line (compared to white: 40%)
- Life expectancy: 66 yrs (compared to white 72 yrs)
- High number of illiterates
- Lack of education
- 18 million rural people live in poverty (highest no. in western hemisphere)
How can this Poverty be dealt with?
Demand for agricultural land
What do we think is the Main Issue in Brazil?