Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Ideate: Hire Me!
Transcript of Ideate: Hire Me!
Obvious Needs for Job Hunting
* Make a list of interesting companies
* Acquire/buy addresses, hr manager names, Library databases
* Use a head hunter
* Check company websites for job announcements
* Use internet search engine, business database search,
* Ask friends
* Ask ex-colleagues
* Sign up to employment agencies
* Visit companies door to door
* Telephone HR managers directly
* Ask advices to the unions
* Use Facebook, Linkedin, Other social media
* School Placement
* Get in touch with an outplacement company
* Check postings in community library, Newspapers
A Five Year Old's View of Access
* Ask Mommy, Ask Daddy
Other Family , (age old nepotism)
* Play Dress-up, (dress the part, dress for success helps with perception and self confidence).
Unlimited Money to Find a Job
* Become a Paid Apprentice
* Advertise on all media
* Buy a company and hire yourself
* Free Internet
* Free classes at any university
Finding Jobs Without Money
* Talk to people
* Crowd source a company start-up
* Place a poster in a public space
* Ask to work free of charge for a trial period.
* Join a support group
* Find a sponsor
* Borrow money to start a company
Super Power Way to Get a Job
• Everyone Must Intern before college
• Make a job machine
• Use a time machine to go back to the past and choose a different course of study more in demand
Students need a way to access theoretical content in a timely manner and connect to real job applications early because students need affordable easy access and the ability to determine if the career path is right for them.
Obvious Needs to Align Theory and Application
* Use real world examples in presenting theoretical discussion
* Take classes from instructors still working in the field
* Ask people in the industry what is important to know and learn.
Obvious Needs for Access
* Online classes Through University
* Old Fashion Correspondence Course
* MOOC, Massive Open Online Course
* Khan Academy
*Paid training sites, e.g. Lynda.com
Five Year Old View of Theory and Application
* Rely on a family member,(mentor) to show what you need to know.
Five Year Old View to Access
* Short and engaging
Unlimited Money to Align Theory with Application
* Hire professionals working in the field to review or teach courses
* Design college courses that work from practical to theoretical
Unlimited Money to Provide Access
* Free global internet
Ways to Align Theory with Application Without Money
* Ask recent graduates what part of their studies are applicable to their new jobs
* Ask recent graduates what part of their studies to emphasize
Ways to Provide Access Without Money
* Ask friends to teach
*Ask to partner with someone taking the course and share materials
Super Power Way to Align Theory with Application
* Fast-forward Man would appear at lectures and speed up the lecture when content was unimportant.
*Chronological Disruption Man Change the order from college, degree
Super Power Way to Provide Access
• Star Trek holodeck classroom
• Make a skill pill that provides training.
• learning while sleeping
First Best Idea
Intern or Apprentice at the Beginning of the College Career
By Starting with the internship instead of ending with it, students would be in a better position to assess what course content is important and even if they like and want to pursue a career in the field. Since most internships are with entry level jobs, and a student's depth of knowledge on theoretical content is mostly irrelevant, hiring an intern at the beginning of their college career would not adversely impact the business, nor would it have to spend additional time in training. Students would have a longer time to network within their fields, providing them with a deeper list of contacts upon their graduation and when they seek their jobs.. As students progress in their studies, they hone their critical thinking skills that will help them adapt to changes in the feild of study and types of jobs they will pursue.
Second Best Idea
Prepare Students to Develop Their Own Jobs.
With the number of graduates always increasing, automation shrinking the number of jobs, and mergers producing fewer employers, the best hope for a new job seeker might be to create their own job. Globalization has not only opened up markets, it has spread the competition to once local jobs to candidates around the world. The every increasing population along with the proportional increase in college graduates means there simply may not be enough jobs to go around. Many jobs are falling victim to automation as artificial intelligence replaces more and more complex jobs with computers. Global mergers have meant fewer active employers further reducing the number of jobs. Creating one's own job might be the best option as a part of a novel start-up or simply a small business. Crowd sourcing, angel investors, family support are all ways that even those with low budgets can aspire to be the next Bill Gates or Mark Zuckerberg.
Third Best Idea
Use the Internet to Access Skill Needs
The Internet has democratized learning. As the MOOC movement becomes more prominent and global Internet more ubiquitous, the high tuition demanded by universities will fall away. The current difficulty with online course is that there is no way to absolutely verify who did the work and deserves the certification. But if employers start interns at the beginning of their academic career and do most of the training, they will be able to vet the students. The degree will be more of an esoteric exercise in acquiring critical thinking skills that again the employer can vet as they train the student in newly developed tools, products and services. This class is evidence of the validity of this idea.