Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Rick Hansen Book Talk
Transcript of Rick Hansen Book Talk
Scripted by Tessa Anzai Basic Info Born August 26, 1957
Headstrong, mischievous, individualistic kid
Hobbies -> fishing and sports
Grew up in small B.C. towns The Accident At 15
Fishing trip in Bella Coola
On way home
In pick-up truck I WAS NOT AFRAID TO DREAM The Tour Started as an idea in the back of my head
All I wanted to do was wheel around the world The tour left March 21, 1985
from Oakridge Shopping Center
Me in chair, others in motorhome The Route From Vancouver down into U.S.
Across to Europe
Down into Australia
Up into Asia
Back to North America - up east coast
Total: 24, 901.55 miles The Complications 3x23 mile wheeling sessions
Chair design malfunctions
Planning issues Money problems
Crossing into California
no pedestrians allowed on the freeway The End is Just the Beginning The Aftermath Money, but no planning
The Rick Hansen Man in Motion Foundation My Motives Made no money
Was on the Great Wall of China
Pain to push up
At beginning, tour was impossible “I believe with absolute certainty, that a person with a spinal cord injury will some day cross three frontiers:
1) An athlete with a disability will be on the Olympic Games podium with full metal status.
2) Someone with a spinal cord injury will summit Everest; another will get to one of the poles, or both.
3) A person with a disability will go into outer space as a SCI researcher into no-gravity medicine and tell the story to the entire world.”
- pg. 223 Thank You