Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Summarizing- Fiction verses NonFiction
Transcript of Summarizing- Fiction verses NonFiction
Summarizing a Fictional Text
What is a summary?
A summary is a short description of the most important events in a story. It tells what happens. To summarize a fiction story, readers need to think about the important story elements such as: characters, plot and setting. these story elements help answer the questions Who? What? Where? When? Why? and How?
We can use 5 simple sentence stems to identify the story elements...
Differentiating between summarizing fiction and nonfiction- How is summarizing nonfiction different than a fiction summary?
- They are both a short or consise descroption of the most important parts in a text.
- in fiction you focus on events... someone, wanted, but, so, then
- in nonfiction you focus on important details or facts that support the main idea.
YOU READ WITH A DIFFERENT PURPOSE OR FOCUS WHEN READING NONFICTION.
How do you find important information in a text?
1. Read the whole selection first and then look for the main idea.
2. Ignore the little details.
4. Step back and think about the whole picture.
5. Text features to look for: italics, bold print, punctuation, titles and subtitles.
Coding A Text- to find important information in nonfiction text
something neat to read about
your opinion that it is interesting
something you find cooool
not always important to the article
needed for the topic
you need to know to understand
an answer to a question
important to the subject/main idea
Summarizing Nonfiction- sentence stems
1. The text ______(title)_____________ is about____________(main idea)_______________.
2. First you should know_____(detail #1)________.
3. Also, ________(detail #2)__________________.
4. Finally,_______(detail #3)__________________.
5. Now I think,_______(opinion)__________because
___________(detail to support opinion)_________.