Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
A Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialist's Desk
Transcript of A Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialist's Desk
A day in the life of a CTRS...
Services Based on Client Need
The type of service provided by any type of program should be, first & foremost, based on the clients needs.
All clients are different, therefore the programs that are put on need to be adaptable in order to meet the needs of each particular client. Doing this allows them to experience the ultimate benefits of leisure.
Therapeutic Recreation is a great & adaptable tool to use when dealing with different populations because our ultimate goal is to provide the best we can to our clients so that they can obtain the best quality of life & satisfaction.
Rationale for Therapeutic Recreation Services
1) Every human being needs, wants & deserves leisure
- leisure brings many opportunities such as personal growth, learning new skills, meeting new people, & expressing yourself, among other things
2) Many individuals experience barriers to full & satisfying leisure
- physical accessibility
- psychological barriers such as lack of motivation
- unaware of how to access leisure
"The ultimate outcome of therapeutic recreation services is the improved ability of the individual to engage in a successful, appropriate, and meaningful independent leisure lifestyle that, in turn, leads to improved health, quality of life, and well-being."
Clients of Therapeutic Recreation Services
Any individual with a physical, mental, social or emotional condition that limits leisure functioning is eligible & could potentially benefit from therapeutic recreation services.
1) Diagnosis in the DSM-V (traditionally)
2) Based on body functions & structure/activity & participation ie: WHO's International Classification of Functioning, Disability and Health [ICF]
TR Service Setting (Defined)- any center/agency serving individuals with limitations or restrictions
Settings Include: hospitals, skilled nursing facilities, residential & traditional settings, community settings, partial or outpatient facilities, day care/day treatment facilities, schools, correctional centers.
A Client-Oriented Approach
-The Leisure Ability Model is based on the concept of identified client needs related to leisure involvement.
-The principle remains: the needs of clients determine the nature of programs provided.
Who are the major groups receiving TR services?
Clients with developmental disabilities
Clients receiving physical medicine services
Clients receiving psychiatric and mental health services
What kinds of TR service settings have you worked/volunteered in?
What populations did you work with there? (individuals with physical or social limitations?)
What was the ultimate outcome? (improved health, social/physical benefits?)
Stumbo, Norma J., and Carol Ann Peterson. Therapeutic Recreation Program Design: Principles and Procedures. San Francisco, CA: Pearson/Benjamin-Cummings, 2009. Print.