Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Dystopian Novel Project
Transcript of Dystopian Novel Project
The mass media is controlled by a small amount of people, but it is such a powerful way to influence beliefs and behavior so those who are in control of it have a significant amount of power even in democratic societies. War is Peace - The war that is being engaged upon is simply enabling the ruling powers to keep masses ignorant of life in other places, hence, keeping peace in the land of Oceania.
Freedom is Slavery - Big Brother's main goal is to enslave the lives and thoughts of the people. In their attempt to do so, the Party is trying to establish that being "free" is not necessarily a right that one needs to have. "Freedom" can be found in other outlets as well.
Ignorance is Strength - The less you know, the more the land of Oceania will be able to prosper over the other lands. Ignorance is good for the control of the Party because it gives them the strength to establish new laws and methods of regulation without the public having to know. Mainstream media operates very similarly to The Ministry of Truth in "1984." The media distorts the facts, and just like burning the textbooks did.
The media doesn't always give out the full amount of information. Even today's society gets the“prolefeed” news like the totalitarian government did in "1984."
Just like in "1984," the mainstream media does not want the citizens to be “in the know” about events that are going on in the world around them. The Ministry of Truth is in charge of delivering the news, censoring what the public is allowed to know, and rewriting history. -Winston was an employee in the Record Department, where he took part in modifying data. The News was "prolefeed," which is the stream of mindless entertainment to distract and occupy the masses. The party chooses what to tell the public. Widely used for investigation upon the actions and thoughts of people in Oceanian society.
The actions of Big Brother were very dependent upon what could be evaluated from these types of technologies.
Telescreens were the main aspect of control in Big Brother's totalitarian society. The telescreens told people what to think. Examples of Propaganda in "1984" Two Minutes Hate was Big Brother's way of brainwashing and increasing the hatred towards the Party enemies, and awareness of what is acceptable in Oceania society.
- brainwashing was important in the Oceania society in order to keep the strength of the Party stronger than all other outside leading sources trying to take over control. Mass Media in the 21st Century The thought crime in "1984" includes thoughts of rebellion, promiscuity, and negative thoughts about Big Brother. If you commit thought crime you will simply vanish from Oceania and it will be as if you never existed. "Thought crime did not entail death: thought crime is death"(Orwell 28). The government controls people's thoughts because they want full control, and to minimize the possibility of rebellious behavior. http://www.newspeakdictionary.com/media/128k/1984-2minutehate.mp3 The three basic (and most commonly known) functions of mass media are providing news/information, entertainment and education. Let's take down
Big Brother!! The most common form of mass media in "1984" was propaganda. I'm sick of
being treated!! Modern day technology can be closely related to the technology that was widely used in "1984." The use of t.v.'s, iPads, etc for displaying advertising is comparable to the telescreen's brainwashing capabilities. In a technology driven society, whatever the devices say, the citizens believe. Technology Centeno, Israel. "Orwellâs 1984 and Totalitarianism, Pt. III: The Plot." Sampsonia
Way Magazine RSS. N.p., 18 Dec. 2012. Web. 16 Jan. 2013. The types of technology used in this story were important aspects of the Party's tools to keep control over all the people in Oceania.
- Technology was their method of self-preservation in order to advance their progress in regulation of individualism and force people to become clones instead of their own unique person. Government in "1984" was the main aspect of control. The citizens believed everything the government told them, just like citizens today believe everything the internet tells them. Censorship has become the governments way of intruding on peoples privacy. According to the Administrative Office of U.S. Courts: 2,208 wiretaps were ordered by state and federal courts in 2007(Wiretap Statistics). The hidden cameras limited actions of the people in Oceania, just like surveillance cameras do today. PROPAGANDA THOUGHT CRIME TECHNOLOGY Commercials Commercials have brainwashing abilities just like the messages on the telescreens had on Oceania. Whether viewers are aware of it or not, the producers of commercials make them appeal to certain target audiences, and attempt to persuade them to perform certain desired acts. Commercials are capable of manipulation of feelings and ideas. Number of 30-second TV commercials seen in a year by an average child: 20,000 "According to the latest studies [by BBC News], Britain has a staggering 4.2million CCTV cameras - one for every 14 people in the country - and 20% of cameras globally. It has been calculated that each person is caught on camera an average of 300 times daily." The following quotes are from from a survey conducted by ACNielsen (a global marketing research firm) in 2007 on "Television & Health." Percentage of households that possess at least one television: 99% In a country where amendments protect rights such as speech, citizens are punished on a daily basis for politically incorrect ideas which is equivalent to "thought crime." "Then the face of Big Brother faded away again, and instead the three slogans of the Party stood out in bold capitals; WAR IS PEACE FREEDOM IS SLAVERY IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH" (Orwell 16). During Two Minutes Hate, all forms of individuality are erased, and everyone becomes lunatics. It is impossible to avoid joining in on the chaotic activities, because not participating would result in death ( Orwell 14). Thought crime was not a thing that could be concealed forever. "Sooner or later, [the thought police] were bound to get you" (Orwell 19). "The new tune which was to be the theme song of Hate Week had already been composed and was endlessly plugged on the telescreens" (Orwell 148). ""Why can't we go and see the hanging?" roared the boy in his huge voice" (Orwell 23). Miclaus, Claudia. "The Brainwashing Power of Commercials." Buzzle.
N.p., n.d. Web. Children grew up in a society where public humiliation was entertaining, and all of the other threats in life were games."The songs, the processions, the banners, the hiking, the drilling with dummy rifles, the yelling of slogans, the worship of Big Brother-it was all a sort of glorious game to them (Orwell 24). Two Minutes Hate "On each landing, opposite the lift shaft, the poster with the enormous face gazed from the wall. It was one of those pictures which are so contrived that the eyes follow you about when you move. BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU, the caption beneath it ran (Orwell 2). Propaganda taught the citizens of Oceania to hate the country's stated enemies. CONCLUSION: Controlling perceptions and thoughts of all citizens destroys what makes each human unique Mass media manipulates popular feelings and lifestyles Totalitarian rule results in the ultimate loss of individual thought. Works Cited Ex: "Too Close" Alex Clare "George Orwell, Big Brother Is Watching Your House." The Evening Standard.
N.p., 31 Mar. 2007. Web. 16 Jan. 2013. "1984 Apple's Macintosh Commercial (HD)." YouTube. YouTube, 01 Feb.
2012. Web. 16 Jan. 2013. "Television & Health." The Sourcebook For Teaching Science. Norman
Herr, Ph.D, 2007. Web. "State FarmÂ® - State of Disbelief (French Model)." YouTube. YouTube,
28 June 2012. Web. 16 Jan. 2013. http://www.audiodrums.com/2012/04/30/alex-clare-too-close/ "Too Close - Alex Clare." Audio Drums. N.p., 30 Apr. 2012. Web. 16 Jan.
2013. "Wiretap Statistics | EFF Surveillance Self-Defense Project." Wiretap
Statistics | EFF Surveillance Self-Defense Project. N.p., n.d. Web. 17